cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro-1000 :: borders out of alignment

taosena
Contributor

Hi there, 

I successfully made my first print - photo rag paper that is sheet fed - all is well except the top and bottom borders aren't even... very narrow border on the side that was fed through first. In Lightroom the borders are even on each side... what am I doing wrong? 

Paper size is A4 / 8.5 x11 

Thanks in advance, 

Susan 

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Several things may be going on.

The following screenshot is from the Pro-100 On-Screen Manual. You would have a similar page in the manual for your printer.

Screenshot 2020-10-13 140836.jpg

The printer has certain imposed margins. If the margins you set in your print settings window are smaller than the largest imposed margin (in this case 0.25 inches) the margins won't be even.

If you set the margins all at .25 inches then the printable area would be 8 x10.5 inches (1/2 inch subtracted from each dimension.)

If the aspect ratio of your image is not 8x10.5 you will have unprinted space.

Can you print a screenshot of your Lightroom settings?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi again @jrhoffman75, 

Thanks for your input. Please see the screengrab of the pinter settings in LR as well as a photo of the print that came out. 

So appreciate your help!

Susan 

Lightroom print settingsActual Output of same file

Hi again, 

Thanks. What I don't understand is the really tiny margin at the bottom of the print. I'm not trying to fill the page. I've compensated by changing the borders in Lightroom, but this isn't idea because it's not reflecting what is being output. 

Also, have looked through the manual and haven't found anything to explain this. I'm okay with additional border for fine art media, but this isn't adding border to the botton of the print, it's taking it away. 

So strange.. are there other resources for me to contact? 

Thanks again for your kind replies, 

Susan 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Hi Susan. It looks to me that you are using a Fine Art media type selection. Fine Art papers have an imposed margin top and bottom (which is left and right for a landscape print). It is generally a little over an inch. The printable area of your paper is shown by the black lines on the Lightroom screen.

I think for your printer there may be a way to override it. You would have to check your manual.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
You won’t get that large margin if you use Canon Luster or SemiGloss paper.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hi Susan.

In your Lightroom settings you specified (or let the default paper settings) be a 0.13 margin. You need to specify all four margin settings if you don’t want the default margin.

What happens if you turn off Rotate to fit?

I never select any of the fit or fill options since they will override my cell settings. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Turning off rotate to fit places the horizonal image in portrait mode. I'll do some tests today and see if I find the culprit

What happens if you select Landscape in the printer driver?

The paper is being loaded narrow edge down?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I just tried landscape orientation and the narrow edge is still there - wide edge is down. I also set the paper size to A4 25 this time. See my photo showing how the print came out of the printer... 

thanks again, 

Susan IMG_1117.JPG

Announcements