cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro-1000 – Magenta cast – double profiling again

Nik123
Apprentice

I know this issue has been discussed in this and other forums many times. Robot Sad

However, the specific problem in my setting has not been addressed so far – at least not in a Windows enviroment (similar problem, but MacOS: http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Professional-Photo-Printers/Magenta-Cast-on-New-Pixma-Pro-100/m-p/...).

If you prove me wrong, I'd be very happy!

This is my first post in this forum and I attached several screen shots that show the printer settings (in german language - but I assume we all know the canon driver settings by heart 🙂 ).

Configuration:
Windows 10, Build 1709, up-to-date drivers (standard + xps), printer connected via ethernet

Test image:

01_the test image.png

Scenario A – works like charm:
Printing via Print Studio Pro (Photoshop)

The print matches the (color calibrated) monitor and an external reference print version.
This holds true for all my paper/profile combinations.

02_A_PSP-works nicely.png

Scenario B – magenta cast
Printing via the driver (Photoshop)

B1: Printer color managment OFF --> magenta cast in preview & in printed picture

B2 (no screenshots): Printer color managment ICC profile --> magenta cast in preview & in printed picture

03_B_photoshop print via driver.png

04_B_driver setting-1.png

05_B_driver setting-2.png

06_B_driver setting-3.png

07_B_driver setting-4.png

07_B_print preview-magenta cast.png

Scenario C – works 
Printing via the driver (Photoshop)

Photoshop color managment OFF, Printer color managment ON --> prints preview & print are fine again!

Preliminary conclusion: Without PSP I end up with double profiling although printer color managment is turned OFF

Question: Do I miss something or is this a driver bug?
I really want to be in full control of color managment independent of Print Studio Pro so I can use other software packages (e.g. Qimage, Affinity) as shown in scenario B.

I am grateful for any suggestion!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I have read in various posts that selecting Print preview sometimes casues a magenta cast. I don't use preview so i can't vouch for the correctness of the info. Try printing without Preview and see what happens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I have read in various posts that selecting Print preview sometimes casues a magenta cast. I don't use preview so i can't vouch for the correctness of the info. Try printing without Preview and see what happens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

YES!!! 

Without the preview the prints are correct and the magenta cast is gone!

I spent so much time (, dye, and paper) to pinpoint the problem...and you solved it!

John, you make my day! Smiley Very Happy

Just a quick question.  If you are printing a test image (as in your test image above), why are your printer settings set for perceptual intent instead of relative colorimetric intent?  Is it possible you are shifting out of gamut colors with the perceptual setting?  Check this out:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjjgJ7Tnoe4   

Agreed, print preview does cause problems.

Also experiencing this at present with Canon 10-s - very frustrating & does not occur from a MAC. Also happened after activated 'print preview' option - but continues still, despite deactivating the preview. None of the manual settings / profiling options seem to undo this glitch. I can remove cast by selecting 'Matte' photo paper instead of 'Plain' - but blacks are very washed out when I choose this option. In my case, I am mainly using Black & White printing - I have never had this issue over the last year until now. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If you soft proof you can see the effect of both intents. I have never seen more than a slight difference. My initial selection is based on what the ICC profile creator recommends and then I check against the other.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements