cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing black and white from pro 1000 plugin or LR

HRP
Apprentice

Hello everyone,  I'm new to printing my own work. I'm using LR to print black and white with an ICC profile and my prints are coming out with a blue tinge. I swapped to the Canon plugin on LR and ticked the option black and white and it seems to have solved the issue (although I understand this is meant for converting colour to b&w).  The box only allows me to choose either b&w or ICC profile but not both so I'm wondering whether it uses the ICC profile I have selected in LR when I open the plugin. Tbh, I prefer the ease of printing from LR but haven't found a solution to eliminate the color cast. Any advice would be so welcome!

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

When you select PSP nothing in the LR print module is utilized. You can select PSP plugin while in the Develop module.

It is my understanding tfrom what I have read is that when using PSP you are also using the Canon driver B&W option which is essentially an ICC profile for color to B&W. This is different than having a B&W image on screen and printing as you would with a color image.

With PSP in B&W mode all that matters is the media type. PSP handles the behind the scenes stuff.

If you were printing outside of PSP you would select an ICC profile and a media type.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you for the welcome and such a speedy reply 🙂  That makes sense re PSP.  I'm not sure why I'm getting the blue colour cast when I print from LR though when I'm using an ICC profile.  The image doesn't appear at all blue in softproofing with the ICC profile chosen

When you are printing from LR did you try selecting the B&W print checkbox in the Canon driver?

That should be the same effect as using B&W with PSP.

Screenshot 2020-09-12 090342.jpg

I have found that B&W printing on the Pro-100 is erratic. Sometimes I get great results. Other times, with different papers, not so good.

I also find that with some papers the type of lighting (CFL or LED) can affect the visible image color cast. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks again for your time 🙂  I printed from LR Classic and I can't see that option when I print, but I've just opened 'the other'  LR-it says 2015, and it does. I'll try printing again today and see what result I get. I'm a bit confused with the different LR's as I usually just work in PS.

You access the Canon printer driver from the Page Setup button.

Screenshot 2020-09-14 070029.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

rdeloe
Apprentice

I'm having the exact same problem. Using the ICC to print black and white produces a blue or cyan cast on dark grey tones. Have you found a solution @HRP?

Announcements