cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing an 8x10 photo - need help with proportions

bears
Apprentice

Hi everyone!  We are attempting to print our wedding photos on our Canon Pro 100 (using a PC laptop with Windows 10), and there is one we'd like to print in an 8x10 (on 8.5 x 11 matte photo paper).  However, we are having a difficult time with the proportions - playing around with different settings, either the top of the photo gets cut off, or the full photo prints but the width is less than 8 inches (i.e. a larger white margin on the sides than there should be).  

After lots of trouble-shooting, we realized that the proportion of the photo itself is off - on my Mac laptop, when I open the photo on Preview, the default size is 8.87 x 13.33.  So, I am unable to adjust it to 8x10 without changing the proportions (when I did, predictably, it stretched the photo width-wise).  We then tried to go as if we were printing it on the Staples website, and there was an 8x10 frame over the photo that we could move so we could choose how much is cut off the top and how much is cut off the bottom.  SO, my question is, is there a way to do this when printing with the Canon Pro?  Or, alternatively, can we print the full photo (say on an 11x17 sheet) and somehow prioritize the width of 8 inches, then cut from the top and bottom ourselves to make the length 10 inches?  It just seems to automatically cut off from the top of the picture or leave the white margins on the sides, both of which don't make it look great.

Thank you SO MUCH in advance for your help!  Please let me know if any other details would be helpful.

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hello bears. Welcome to the forum.

What software are you trying to print from?

Many software products allow you to slide the crop window around just like you did at Stales with the real frame.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

bears
Apprentice
Hi John,

Thank you very much for the welcome! What we’ve been doing is just opening up the picture file and printing it from there. Is there a better way to go about it or a software that’s best to use?

You could download and use Canon Easy Photo Print.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/professional-large-format-printers...

It lets you chose the paper size you want, crop the image and slide the portion of the image to print.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements