cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer software issues

Kazthibs
Apprentice

I recently purchased  Canon Pixma pro 100. I'm not sure if there is any compatible software to Print Studio Pro as I can not for the life in me get this software to work. I work on a mac and use Affinity as my photo editing software. Against my better judgment I purchased Photoshop Elements, just so I could use Print Studio Pro. I am printing artwork and it's important to be able to select fine art papers and get the correct color profiles. 

The Print Studio Pro installer could not find Photoshop Elements on my computer so I had to manually add the plugin in the plugin folder of elements. The plugin shows up in the automated dropdown menu but once I click on the application it freezes up the Elements program. I'm left with no choice but to shut down Photoshop Elements.

I find it very frustrating that I have to keep spending money to get the best out of this printer. You would think a big company like Canon would provide more options for their expensive products.

Is there something else I can do to get this working. I'm currently using Mojave 10.14.6

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AirPrint is your problem.

Go into System Preferences->Printers & Scanners, select the "+" button to add a printer and then wait for the Canon IJ Series printer to appear. It could take a few minutes.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

That's OK. Later production has 2.0. 

Sounds like you were trying to run the firmware updater. You want the CUPS driver. Different tab. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Please pardon me - it had been a long day. I did have printer DRIVER confused with printer FIRMWARE.

After the driver update, I removed the Pro 100 from my printers selection, and re-installed. I chose "Canon PRO-100" in the "Use" selection field at the bottom of the setup window. I now see the same printer dialog window in Affinity that you illustrated earlier, but the preview of the printed image looks "funny" - all reddish color, regardless of what jpeg file I open in Affinity. Right now, I'm not inclined to print and expend yet another sheet of expensive paper until I better understand what's going on.

Regrets for being such a neanderthal with all of this...

I'm not an active Affinity user, so I may not be able to help with that, but lets try this.

1. open one of the images in Apple Preview on your Mac. Does it look OK?

2. for  testing purposes you can always print on plain copy paper.

3. download and use the test image from this site: 

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you for the coaching and suggestions! To answer your questions -

1. Several open just fine in Preview, and in DPP. In DPP. selecting print using plug-in, Print Studio Pro seems to open and start to work - more on this in a moment.

2. I've been printing some images on plain paper, or on "cheaper" photo paper in the throes of sorting all of this adventure.

3. Not yet...

I'm pretty sure the "red image" is an Affinity issue, I'm going to take that one to the Affinity help forums.

Another issue has re-emerged - the Pro 100 and my iMac seem to "forget" about one another. As in no communication. Restarting either does not help. To avoid further hi-jacking OP's thread, Im going to start yet another thread on that topic, as I sort of suspect it may have to do with Mac OS Catalina.

THanks again, Happy New Year to all here.

You can probably forget about the test image since it looks like you found the culp. But, if you are ever having printer problems that image and the accompanying info is a good resource. 

Are you connected to the printer by  USB?  There seems to be some sort of USB problem with Catalina 15.2. 

My MacBook Air is WiFi connected and I don't have the problem you are describing. 

I don't know if this is your Affinity problem, but the image will get a red overlay if it is too large for the selected paper size. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Im using an ethernet connection to the printer. Right now. attempting to set the printer up on an OLD laptop running Win 10, just to see what happens there. I'll let everyone know - since others may be having similar issues.

Thanks for the tip on the red overlay - that may be part of the issue, though I don't think so... I'll do some checking/experimenting.

And thannks for the tip on the test photo, I've saved that link for future reference...

MG

Well, I THINK I have the connectivity issue resolved. I forgot that when updating a printer driver, it's good practice to have the printer turned off, and generally, disconnected. The Windows version of the driver install software reminds the user of that little detail, the Mac OS version does not.

Looks like I'm good to go - as soon as I replentish some ink supplies.

Thanks to John, and all - Happy New Year!

OMG, thank you!  I was having the same issue and it fixed it.  

Announcements