cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma pro 100 will not power up

Cckep
Apprentice

My Pixma pro100 is 13 months old and suddenly will not power up. There are no unusual circumstances. Push the power button, & nothing!!! I've seen others that removed the power supply and re-installed as a fix, but that did nothing. Any other suggestions out there? The prints are absolutely beautiful, but to last only 13 months of light use is unacceptable. Please let me know if you have any suggestions, thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dfgalletta
Apprentice

I had this problem as well, and called the technical support line at the number above. The tech support person said to do the following sequence below, which worked! She said it had to do with a power surge. I do have this plugged into the same outlet box as a laser printer but don't have much option here at work. She said to do the following:

1. Unplug the printer.

2. Briefly but firmly press the power button 10 times in a row.

3. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.

4. Plug in the printer. At this point I heard a "snap"/"pop."

5. Press the power button. You should be ok.

UPDATE: I had the problem again, and a new rep said to press it 15-20 times while unplugged. Also, she said to wait an entire minute before plugging it in. That worked! She said it should be plugged directly into the wall, not into a power strip or extension cord. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to pull that one off in my 1983-built office!

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38

3cardave
Apprentice

I received my Pixma Pro 100 from B&H yesterday, and it was DOA. It would not power up at all. The power cord plugs into a box that can be removed by releasing two tabs, and then disconnecting a white 9-wire connector. I'm not sure if this box is technically the housing for the "power supply" since it is fairly light, but it clearly contains a circuit board. Anyway, I disconnected it, and noticed that it is similar to the box from my 9500pro. Given the similarity, I decided to plug the white connector from the Pro-100 into the box from my 9500pro. I pushed the power button on the Pro-100 printer and it powered right up. I then tried putting the original box back in, but the machine was still dead. So whatever is in that Pro-100 box, be it a power supply or just a printed circuit board, it is either defective or disconnected. One problem is that there is no obvious way to open the box from the Pro-100. Another problem is that Canon won't send me a replacement part. Even though it is obviously to blame for my Pro-100 not powering up, the box is not classified as a 'user replaceable' part. Since I only just received the printer, B&H is fine with letting me return the printer. It's a shame, however, that there's no policy in place that allows me to get just the power supply, which is very simple to replace.

dfgalletta
Apprentice

I had this problem as well, and called the technical support line at the number above. The tech support person said to do the following sequence below, which worked! She said it had to do with a power surge. I do have this plugged into the same outlet box as a laser printer but don't have much option here at work. She said to do the following:

1. Unplug the printer.

UPDATE: I had the problem again, and a new rep said to press it 15-20 times while unplugged. Also, she said to wait an entire minute before plugging it in. That worked! She said it should be plugged directly into the wall, not into a power strip or extension cord. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to pull that one off in my 1983-built office!

Hello dfgalleta,

That’s great that there’s a way to reset that printer! Thanks very much for posting a fix. It’s been a few years since I posted that message about the powering up problem, and it took me a while to remember what I ended up doing. Since I was able to determine that the printer was fine except for the power unit, I decided to keep it, rather than send it back to B&H. At the time, there was a terrific rebate available on the Pro 100, and a lot of people were buying them and taking out the ink and print heads, and selling them separately from the printer. I found one without ink nearby - and brand new - for $50, so I bought it and removed the power supply to use in place of my faulty one. Now that you have posted a fix, I will be able to get some ink and a print head and have a second fully-functioning Pro 100. Awesome. Thanks again!

Hi 3cardave. 

B&H Photo has the rebate deal for $120 for the Pro-100. Less than the price of a set of ink and it also includes $44 worth of paper as well. Deal valid through end of February.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Well, it happened again. The representative (Mary? Nancy?) this time said that the printer needs to be plugged directly into the wall outlet, not in an extension. If all my products required this, I would only be able to have the printer and one computer (no monitor) plugged in!

To be fair, it is sharing a heavy duty 3-prong extension cord with an HP laser printer, which has never so much as hiccupped in the 3 or 4 years since I've had it!

Anyway, she said to unplug the unit, press the power button 15 to 20 times, then let it sit for a minute. Then plug it in. That worked.

She said it would also work to have it unplugged overnight.

Best of luck!

My Pixma Pro-10 wouldn't power up no matter what I did. I followed your "press 10x; press and hold; plug back in" method and IT WORKED immediately. So bizarre. But it worked!

@dfgalletta wrote:

1. Unplug the printer.

A number of months ago this worked for me repeatedly. Now, no more. I can't get an inkling of life out of this printer. If this many people are having this problem isn't it a defect???

I had problem too - PIXMA PRO-100, several years old, lightly used to print, and the unit would not power up. However, all the recommended fixes about pushing the button repeatedly did not work. The Canon tech support recommendation solution was initially to replace the power cord but turned out that was not the problem, as the power supply tested fine for continuity.  So in the end as the next step, they recommended buying a new printer.

However, and in reply to people like christojo58 whose printer would not power up either, I later found the power supply was a removable unit, and I was able to find a used power supply at eBay. When I replaced the power supply, the printer now powers on.  

So instead of having to replace and put into the solid waste (trash) a hefty professional 43.2 lb (19.60 kg) printer that otherwise worked fine, I was able to replace a power supply.

Seemingly Canon needs to reconsider and sell or otherwise provide replacement power supplies for this printer, and maybe engineering figure out why the power supply is a weak link item that fails.

OMG!!!! This worked. Thank you so much. I was getting ready to throw it out.

I would not believe that this will solve the problem but I am schocked to see it really worked.

Yes, unplugging and pressing On button worked my printer and it is working now.

thank you so much. you saved my night from nightmares..

Announcements