cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro-100 printing with too much ink

Seannc
Apprentice

I just got a new Pro-100 and I'm trying to print on glossy card stock, and no matter what I change the stock type to the prints are soaking wet with ink and even when I let it dry it results in a blurry, splotchy mess.

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Is the card stock intended to be printed on with dye ink? Dye ink needs to be absorbed into the print layer.

Double check you are printing on the correct side. Print side faces out when paper is loaded.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

andyfromboston
Apprentice
A couple things, off the top of my head -
-Is the card stock advertised as inkjet printable? Glossy materials need a surface coating designed to accept ink. Something I learned well in the good old days, trying to print transparency projector slides on laser printer - only transparency media.
-Is the printer set to print on glossy media? If it is set to matte or plain paper it will use more ink than is needed for glossy.

jfriede
Contributor

I have that problem too. I'm not sure if it's not using the right type of photo paper? I tried two different brands (inkjet photo papers) and they came out wet smudgy prints. I've read somewhere that we have to stay with certain brands. True? 

I like to add that I've set the settings to print on glossy paper, same result. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Frequently wet smudgy prints are a result of printing on the back side of the paper. Test this by wetting a finger tip and touching a corner of the paper. Print side will be tacky.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yeah, I saw that. The photo paper I have has the brand logo printed on the backside.  

Does the paper vendor recommend a media tyype? If not you could try Other Glossy Photo Paper and the others if that doesn't work.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements