cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro-100 Leaving Smudges/Streaks on last part of 13x19" print

pmilligan
Apprentice

Hi guys, I am in desperate need of help as I have several customer orders that I can't fulfill because my printer just stopped functioning correctly today. I have a Pixma Pro-100, and I have printed several hundred 13x19" prints with it. Today, it started adding black smudges/streaks on either side of the last few inches of every 13x19" print.

I cleaned the printhead, aligned it, cleaned the nozzles, and even took the printhead out and cleaned it using the "soak in shallow water" method, before letting it dry completely. It still produces the same black smudges/streaks on either side of the last few inches of the prints. 

When I remove the printhead after a print, I can notice what looks like black ink build up all around the bottom brown part where the ink sprays out from the printhead. I've tried wiping it off with an alcohol wipe and reinstalling the printhead. Nothing seems to work. 

I should also note that the sponge that soaks up excess ink inside the printer seems to be really full of wet ink. I tried soaking up as much as I could with paper towels and got quite a lot of it out of there. It seems to me that this couldn't be the problem, though, because the smudges are on the printed side of the paper and not the rear side.

Can anyone help me, please? 

38 REPLIES 38

If this is a temporary fix, what is the permanent fix?

AndyHackethal
Apprentice
Found it! Thanks!

mariosiart
Apprentice

This same situation was happening to me about a year ago. I changed the settings as explained in this thread. 

"Custom Settings > Prevent Paper Abrasion

(For some reason I remember another setting I changed regarding paper thickness - but am unable to find it presently.)

Everything was working perfectly until today!

The edges of all the A-2 cards I'm printing all had black streaking and smuges one the top edge on all the cards I was printing. I cleaned the printer heads, I ran all the other cleaning steps. All my setting were how I step them up a year ago - However none of this has solved my problem.

What I did find, (I'm printing on Mat Photo Card Stock by Red River Paper Co. A-2 60 lbs), if I gently roll the paper edges in I am able to get perfect results again. It seems I can print 3 cards before I have to start cleaning the rollers again.

I'm not sure why this is happening after perfectly printing for a year now.

Does anyone know what my next steps should be?

Advise would be great.

Thanks!

Hi mariosiart,

Do you get the same effect when printing on other types/sizes of paper?

I look forward to your reply. 

I am having the issue...

I print on 13x19, and the papers are a 286gsm weight paper that I purchased a large amount of. All my other papers are in this range, some even more.  I have to curl the corners or the entire paper to not have this happen, yet it works 1 out of 3 or 5 times. Otherwise I have either a small area or a MESS. The head carraige is getting caught on the paper either at the front as it feeds in when starting and ruins the print off the bat, or towards the end.

This is partly due to the paper feed design as it doesn't support the paper as most of it is out, and the weight maybe causing the paper to flex up? I am not sure, but it was not happening before, and now the air is more humid and my paper has more curl.

This is frustrating, as I have not only wasted plenty ink for a 13x19 print, but the paper, and the time.

Do the other Pixma Pro's have this issue? Is this a problem with JUST this model?

I remember many years back, Epson would include a plastic sleeve to insert the paper to uncurl it. But the corners are not easy, and this is glossy paper, I already ruined a few just uncurling.

\

Been stuck for hours trying to get 6 prints done. Otherwise I love the printer. Maybe HP, or perhaps now Epson has a better paper path system? I have used them in the past, but this was my first Canon as I am looking to get a IPF large format 60". I would hope those have no issues like this, but it makes you think..its the engineering prevention..If they didn't think of it for this, why would they think of it for the others, as each product is supposed to be engineered to handle what they claim WITH some room to exceed, not fail delivery of.

I just tried a print with the Custom setting, and uncurling..It still had the issue in the begining, but not as bad.

Any suggestions? Besides "sell the paper and use thinner stock", or "print smaller, or??

What I did notice earlier before this custom setting was, since the head carraige is getting stuck on the lip edge of paper in the starts and finishs, the ink is often spraying off the page. I have a pool of black ink at the left/logo side of the sponge tray.  

Fyi, none of my prints are borderless. In fact I leave about a 1.5" clear border around the print area. So any ink on it is very obvious.

I also read that if this occurs, best to load 1 sheet at a time, which I do. Also suggests to store the paper in a bag so the curling doesn't occur.

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/Manual/M/PRO-10S%20series/EN/UG/ug_trouble1800.html

Hello. Welcome to the forum. 

Are you using the manual feed tray?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

hI jR,

Hi Jr,

Thanks, I am using the rear tray, the upright one. Maybe I should use the flip down rear opening?

"...286gsm weight paper..."

That is pretty heavy stock.  I use only two brands of paper. Oh, yeah, when I got my first Pixma Pro, I've owned five, many years ago I did try other brands but have settled on the two I currently use.  They are Canon's own and Red River paper.  I do not see the problem you are having.

My suggestion is, although, you may not be using Red River paper, perhaps you are, call them anyway. They are really helpful even if you just browse their web site.  It has a lot of info on paper and printing it. Can't hurt.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Well, it is pretty normal for photo paper. Even Canon Platinum is 300gsm, so its not so heavy.

I have a lot of this paper in stock, as I really like it. Its HP branded. The paper type has little difference, its the way it lays down. And many papers can exhibit this. Imagine I was cutting from rolls, then it would be even more of curl issue.

Maybe this is why Canon Pro1000 has a vacuum to keep the paper down?

But, I have used many printers for decades, and there should be a guide that helps keep the papers down to prevent such issues, yet borderless printing feature makes this hard to implement.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I would definitely recommend the manual feed try. Especially for A3+ paper.

I agree that your paper, although heavier than the Canon RC papers, is not that heavy.

I use Museum Etching witn no problems in manual feed tray.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements