cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRO-1000 - Is there a way to disable the chip in the maintenance tank?

bellevuefineart
Enthusiast

I have a P-1000. Just spent almost $400 on ink cartridges, but there are no maintenance tanks anywhere in the country. Is there a way to disable the chip on the maintenance tank? I can fill it with paper towels or pretty much anything absorbent. But right now I have a worthless $1600 brick in the studio without a new maintenance tank. 

10 REPLIES 10

Danny

Hi, bellevuefineart!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer model you're using.  Canon USA has not marketed a printer with the model number "P-1000," so if you could clarify, the community would appreciate it.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

The Canon ImagePrograph Pro-1000. 

The jtoolman (Jose Rodreguiz) YouTube and Facebook pages are a good resource to check with.

I did find this:  Can You Reuse Canon Printer Maintenance Carts? - YouTube

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks. The conclusion at the end of the video is that you cannot reuse them because they're sealed and can't be opened even if you reset the chip. So, I guess I won't be using my Canon printer for awhile due to world wide shortages. 

Because of what’s going on with supply chain issues I have started buying a second item now when I need to replace expendable items so I can have a spare. Then replace the first when I need to use the second. And even then there isn’t always a guarantee of replacement. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yeah I've been doing that too. This one got away from me. Busy December and we used a whole maintenance tank in one month. I've got two of everything except this. It happens.... Fortunately I've got other printers so it's just an inconvenience. 

Tswag20
Apprentice

Hi,

Same problem here, but with many imageprograf pro-1000s. Wondering if there is a way to disable the chip authentication on the printer, or reset the chip. I am willing to try more creative methods for refreshing the cartridge, since it is sealed. Even with cleaning and refreshing the cartridge I'd still have to get around the chip. I have access to many maintenance cartridges to try on. 

-Travis 

Canon needs to step up on this and address it.  I've been unable to print at home for six weeks and its costing me money.  I'm now having to outsource printing that I should've been able to do in house and on media I prefer and buy by the roll.

I was able to find maintenance tanks pretty quickly. They're out there. I have a couple extra now just in case. 

BTW there's no point in disabling the chip on the maintenance tank, because you can't get into it. It's a closed system, so there's no way to open it and replace the ink absorbing pads. 

Announcements