cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRO-100 leaves black ink on edges of greeting card paper

sschwarz13
Apprentice

I bought a PRO-100 earlier this year, so it is fairly new.  I use it primarily to print out greeting cards with photos that I have taken. I am using Photo Paper Direct Injet Greeting Cards, 68lb, 8.5ml, 240gsm. 

The printer leaves black ink on the corners, and sometimes edges of the paper. It happens when I use all the various settings -- borderless, non-borderless, photo printing, etc.  It doesn't matter what type of paper I choose. 

I can tell when it's going to leave the excess ink because the printer makes a clunky sound, like the printer head is hitting the paper in a weird way.  It doesn't leave excess ink when I print on plain, thin paper.

I thought this printer could handle think paper.  Any suggestions?IMG_2203.jpgIMG_2200.jpg 

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Go into the printer driver, select the Maintenance tab and then set prevent paper abrasion in the Custom Settings section.

Annotation 2019-07-28 195429.jpg

also, avoid borderless printing since the printer will overspray the paper to be sure of full coverage.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks!  This helped pretty much, but there is still just a little bit on two of the corners.  Maybe as I print more copies it will be resolved.

Thanks again.

Shawna

Thanks!  This helped pretty much, but there is still just a little bit on two of the corners. 

I will try some of the other maintenance functions to see if I can get it all cleaned up.

Thanks again.

Shawna

Try running roller and bottom plate cleaning as well. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

It appears I was premature in my my belief that the fixes worked.  

I ran all the maintenance checks, and the first time I printed again using the glossy greeting card paper, there was black along the leading edge.  See attached picture.

And the bottom plate cleaning showed some color blotches, as pictured.  I ran this one numerous times.

There seems to be no problem at all when I use regular printer paper -- just the thicker greeting card paper.

Is it possible I got a lemon of a printer?  I purchased this one specifically because I understood it could handle thick paper.

Thanks for any input anybody has.

ShawnaIMG_2298.jpgIMG_2301.jpgIMG_2298.jpg

The goal is to run the cleaning processes until the paper comes out clean.

You could give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON and see what help they can offer.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements