cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA PRO-100 How to figure out border size for custom sized paper?

aajax
Enthusiast

I'm using a Canon Pixma Pro-100 printer on a Windows computer and have tried Print Studio Pro. I normally size my images to fit the target paper and print border-less. However, I'm now wanting to print on paper that is sized differently than the standard options supported by the printer driver. I discovered herein that apparently border-less printing is NOT supported on custom paper sizes.

In this case it is on paper sized (7x10) for printing Greeting Cards but expect this would apply to a broad range of paper sizes.  In that 2 5x7 pictures in one image file.  Of course it would also be nice to know what limits on paper size might apply as well.

It seems like a solution to this problem would be to size the image to fit within the border while still using all of the available space for printing. However, to do that it becomes necessary to know the size/s of the border. I tried an eighth of an inch which turned out to be pretty close but still produces an error saying everything will NOT print. It seems like being able to figure out the size of the border is something lots of people might want to do. Some discussion found herein suggests it will vary with the size of the paper which suggests that some kind of formula might be involved rather than set values but that ought NOT be a big problem.

Is there a way to do this?

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend

This table, which is available in the Pro-100 series On-Screen Manual, shows the printer imposed margins.

If you want even borders then you need to set all four margins to the widest of the four values. I set 0.25 inches as the minimum margin for all printing.

Screenshot 2022-07-27 185503.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes!  I've seen this but the problem is that it pertains to standard paper sizes.  I'm wanting to be able to figure out the same thing for custom paper sizes.  In the case of standard paper sizes I can and almost always do use border-less printing (i.e., my image file size matches the paper size).  In my case, that means crafting a border completely to my preference to include color.  However, what I just learned is that my printer is unable to print border-less on custom paper sizes.

Another point that, I think, I've learned from this experience, which includes some other research of mine, pertains to terminology that I've failed to properly understand.  The new news for me is that border and margin are different things.  At present I think border refers to the area depicted in the above image as white.  In that, borders surround the printable area.  The blue (both light and dark) depict the printable area and margins can (optionally) be applied within it (i.e., margins are positioned inside the borders).  What I want to be able to do is create an image file that covers the entire printable area on custom size paper.  In other words print with zero margins on all 4 sides.  Is this a correct interpretation?

jrhoffman75
Legend

Canon defines the required unprintable space at the edges of the paper as the "margin".

Since there are an infinite number of custom paper sizes they really can't be listed, but since the margins reflect printer hardware limitations once the custom paper size is set in the driver the print engine takes over. If you check the On-Line Manual you can see that the side margins for the Fine Art papers are the same as the other table; the top and bottom are larger because of the stiffness of FA paper. Want to avoid head strikes.

Margin.jpg

When you are setting up your print in the printing software (such a Lightroom) the "border" is the unprinted area of the specified paper size. The Canon printer driver will alert an error if the border is less than the margin.

The unprintable margin dimensions are slightly different for different sides of the paper. Since I like a symmetrical look I do the math and size my image for the print size I want - I never use a border less than 0.25 inches - that encompasses all margins except for Fine Art papers; there I set a 1.5 inch border for a mat effect.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

aajax
Enthusiast

OK, I guess that means my idea about terminology is wrong. Not sure where that leaves me.

Anyway I performed an experiment where I created an image intended to be the maximum size that could be printed (i.e., completely fill the printable area) on paper with a custom size of 7x10 inches. The resolution used for this image is 300 dpi. This comes out as a width of 2022 points or 6.740 inches (i.e., .13 inches unprintable space on both left and right gets to 7 inches). The height is 2904 points or 9.680 inches (i.e., .12 inches on the top and .20 inches on the bottom of unprintable space adds up to 10 inches).

I don't use Adobe software so I have to rely on Canon Print Studio Pro (PSP) when wanting to print on custom size paper. A screenshot showing what PSP sets up by default follows:PSP Layout DialoguePSP Layout Dialogue

Notice that PSP has scaled the image down to 6.333 x 9.096 inches for what reason I have no idea.  However, if you add the values shown for margins it comes up short (6.749 x 9.75) of the paper size (7 x 10 inches).  Looks to be a missing quarter of an inch for both width and height.  This has something to do with why I was thinking margins and borders are different.  In that, the missing quarter inch could be what border means but in this case it is the same all around rather than different depending on top, bottom, or side.

With that as the PSP default position an attempt was made to set the print size to the size of the image (i.e., 6.740 x 9.680 inches).  The result for that is shown in the screenshot that follows:

Set to Actual SizeSet to Actual Size

Again, when the margins are added to the image size the result is 6.75 x 9.75 inches instead of the paper size of 7x10 inches.  Again, a difference of a quarter of an inch.  Not sure what to make of this but it does look like those tables in the On-screen User Manual do NOT apply to this custom paper size (7x10).

Do you think I'll get a better result if I make an image that is 6.75 x 9.75 inches?

aajax
Enthusiast

I forgot.  The image that originated the need for this inquiry is sized at 6.75 x 9.75 inches.  For comparison purposes the PSP layout screen follows:

PSPLayoutCard3.jpg

Notice that this size allows all of the margins to be zero which is the desired intention.  However, when the Print button is selected an error results as follows:

PSPerror-PrintableArea.jpgPSPerror-PrintableArea.jpg

Announcements
09/19/2022: New firmware version 1.0.4.1 is available for EOS C70
08/31/2022: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available forRF 70-200mm L IS USM
08/09/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for CR-N 300
08/09/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for CR-N 500
07/28/2022: New firmware version 1.2.1 is available for EOS-R3
07/21/2022: New firmware version 1.6.0 is available for EOS-R5
07/21/2022: New firmware version 1.6.0 is available for EOS-R6
07/21/2022: New firmware version 1.1.0 is available for EOS-R7
07/21/2022: New firmware version 1.1.0 is available for EOS-R10
07/14/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1 is available for CR-X300
07/01/2022: New firmware version 1.3.0 is available for PowerShot PICK
06/10/2022: Service Notice:UPDATE: Canon Inkjet Printer continuous reboot loop or powering down
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.3.2 is available for PowerShot G7 X Mark III
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3 is available for EOS M50 Mark II
05/31/2022: Did someone SAY Badges?
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.5.1 is available for EOS-C500 Mark II
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C300 Mark III
05/10/2022: Keep your Canon gear in optimal condition with a Canon Maintenance Service
05/05/2022: We are excited to announce that we have refreshed the ranking scale within the community!
04/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1.1 is available for EOS R5 C
03/23/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C70
02/09/2022: Share Your Photos is back!
02/07/2022: New firmware version 1.6.1 is available for EOS-1DX Mark III
01/19/2022: READY FOR ANYTHING EOS-R5 C
01/13/2022: Community Update. We will be retiring the legacy profile avatars on 01/20/2022. Click this link to read more.
01/05/2022: Welcome to CES 2022!