cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P-100 Printing Green when photo paper selected ... fine when plain paper selected

Grrrrandpa
Contributor

I've been using my Pixma P-100 for a year now and have been very pleased with it.  It replaced a PRO-9000 that I used with no problems for about five years.

Yesterday it printed everything with a heavy green hue when I select any photo paper in the printer driver.  When I select "Plain Paper" it prints correctly ... no green at all. 

Here's what I have done:

1.  I removed all Canon software, including the printer driver. 

2.  I deleted every directory associated with Canon

3.  I searched the Registry for anything from Canon and removed it. 

4.  I rebooted the computer.

5.  I downloaded the latest software from Canon for the P-100 and installed it.

6.  I removed and visually checked all ink cartridges ... they are all at least half full..

7.  I performed a "cleaning" cycle. 

8.  I did a nozzle check.  All patterns look perfect and the colors are what they should be.

9.  I checked the printer's color management.  It is set to "Automatic" and there are eighteen profiles listed.

Nothing changed.  When I select "Plain Paper", the photos print correctly.  When I select any of serveral photo papers, there is a heavy green hue over everything. 

I'd use this as a workaround but the photos are not photographic quality, even if I actually print them on photo paper with paper selected to "Plain Paper" in the driver.

I printed the same photo from three different programs, and the identical thing happened, so it's not the application software that is causing this.

I have officially run out of options.  Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Grrrrandpa

20 REPLIES 20

There are two places where you can affect color.  The first is a setting for Photoshop Elements.  When you edit "Color Settings", you are offered three selections:

1.  No Color Management

2.  Always optimize for computer screens, and

3.  Always optimize for printing

The second is modifying the image.  When you arrive at "Convert Color Profile", you are again given three options:

1.  Remove Profile

2.  Convert to sRGB

3.  Convert to Adobe RGB

I ran a test print for all nine combinations, each time starting with the original image.  Alas, no change.

I also installed the printer on another computer, this time Windows 8.1, and used Photoshop Elements Version 5.  There was no change ... when I print to "photo" papers", the entire image has a green cast, and printing to "Plain Paper" works just fine.

I can't help with PE10; I don't use it. If ebiggs1 jumps back on I think he has knowledge of that software.

In the meantime, download Print Studio Pro from here and install it. It is a plugin to PE10 and it sets all the right switches. There have been many folks on here that have printing issues and everytime I recommedned PS they come back problem solved.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/professional-inkjet-print...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Normally I don't recommend PSP but this time I think John Hoffman has good advice.  Go ahead and install it.  But it still has to be the ONLY thing that controls the printer.  I still believe you are double profiling.

It has been such a long time since I looked at PSE, I can't give you exact instructions. But it is where you want color management.  Not in the printer.  You must turn that off.

Set PSE to sRGB.  Not AdobeRGB for now.

The fact you tried a different computer with PSE on it doesn't tell us anything.  It is likely double profiling, too.

Get some Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi Gloss.  Make sure you have its correct ICC profile selected.  Make sure you turn off "Printer Manage Color".  Make sure PSE is managing color.  Color space is sRGB.

The web site is not letting me u/l pictuers so I can't show you the exact steps.  Right now, maybe they will fix it later.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

That was not fun.   Print Studio Pro was not at the link provided above.  I searched the US site and couldn't find it.  I went to Canon Europe and it told me that if I instaled their printer driver, PSP would automatically be installed.  Not true.  I finally ended up at Canon Asia and found it.  I downloaded it and installed it.  Whew.

I set Photoshop Elements to not manage color:  Edit-->Color Settings-->No Color Managemnt. 

I set my printer default for Color/Intensity to ":Manual" and set Matching to "None".

I opened Photoshop Elements, opened a file.  sRGB was not immediately available under color profile.  I first had ot remove the existing profile, then it allowed me to convert it to sRGB.  I  then opened PSP.

I set color mode: Use ICC Profile

printer profile: I set it to be the same as the media type -- platinum N

rendering intent:  relative colorimetric -- I have not idea what this is but the other option was "Perceptual"

ambient light:  greyed out so not an option

color matching method:. greyed out so not an option.

Results?  It's still green.

I'll be offline for the weekend, but I  hope to have a flash of inspiration while I'm flying to cold country and back.  In any case, I'll check back here on Monday.  Thanks all of you  for all your help ...  I didn't know double profiling was a problem ... I certainly hope it's my problem and that we solve it!

Sorry for bumping this thread, but i have exactly the same problem but different printer: plain paper prints are fine, photo prints are greenish.

I did exactly the same tests as the topic starter and even more. I printed with totally different, non Canon ICC profiles, same greenish color!

It seems as long as i change print quality to photo it goes wrong. If i do a plain paper print on glossy photo paper, colors are correct, but dont have enough intensity as the quality doesnt go higher.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If PSP was installed then you should print from it. It's a plugin to PE. 

See this:

How_to_Start_rtf.jpg

These are instructions for Mac. For Windows you should find Canon Utilities folder in the Start menu.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I did print from PSP.  Sorry my description wasn't clear.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Then you should call Canon. 1-800-OK-CANON. I can't offer any more suggestions. I have always found them very helpful.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks.  It's been crazy around here and I haven't had a chance to work on my printer.   I will call Canon tomorrow and see if they can help.  I will post their reply/assistance/result.

Announcements