cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Printer Features Menu On OSX Mojave

zoomCat
Contributor

I have a Pro 10, and recently upgraded an iMac to Mojave from a much older system.  I have updated the Canon driver from their website, and successfully printed some photos using the default settings that look OK.  I have access to my custom Red River paper profiles, but I haven't experimented with them yet.

My issue is with printing to Fine Art papers.  The new print dialog (blech!) doesn't handle things the same way; prior to Mojave selecting a fine art paper and margins was necessary to get true matte printing.  Now it isn't clear to me how to accomplish the same thing, and the results are pretty bad, as I would expect to see with photo black being used on matte paper.  I'm doing this from Photos, the old dialog and process seems to be availble from Affinity Photo.

What are the magic settings to get true matte printing from the new UI in Apple Photos?  Is it possible at all?

Mojave Print Dialog.png

6 REPLIES 6

MikeB_FI
Apprentice

Hi

My first posting, I live in the UK.

I have similar issue. MACOS Mojave, Canon PRO-1000. Using Affinity Photo, also the first time trying ICC profiles.

Not all the ICC profiles that appear in the Affinity Document setup appear in the printer dialogue 'Printer Features' list. In this case I want to use HFA_CanPro1000_PK_BarytaFB

Screenshot 2020-03-02 at 17.04.19.png

Screenshot 2020-03-02 at 16.58.48.png

The profile is saved in macintosh HD/Library/Colorsync/Profiles

I am unable to find any of the profiles shown in the second screenshot (i.e. Printer Features) by using Finder

@MikeB_FI wrote:

Hi

My first posting, I live in the UK.

I have similar issue. MACOS Mojave, Canon PRO-1000. Using Affinity Photo, also the first time trying ICC profiles.

Not all the ICC profiles that appear in the Affinity Document setup appear in the printer dialogue 'Printer Features' list. In this case I want to use HFA_CanPro1000_PK_BarytaFB

Screenshot 2020-03-02 at 17.04.19.png

Screenshot 2020-03-02 at 16.58.48.png

The profile is saved in macintosh HD/Library/Colorsync/Profiles

I am unable to find any of the profiles shown in the second screenshot (i.e. Printer Features) by using Finder

Follow trail in the attached image. Then copy the ICC profiles from the folder and install them in the ColorSync/Profiles folder as you would a third party profile.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John
Thanks for your quick reply. I have had a quick look and found the folder you mentioned. I now have all the profiles in both folders, have restarted Affinity but still the same outcome.

Due to the time difference between UK and you (and some other things I need to attend to) I will need to have a longer look at this tomorrow

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@zoomCat wrote:

I have a Pro 10, and recently upgraded an iMac to Mojave from a much older system.  I have updated the Canon driver from their website, and successfully printed some photos using the default settings that look OK.  I have access to my custom Red River paper profiles, but I haven't experimented with them yet.

My issue is with printing to Fine Art papers.  The new print dialog (blech!) doesn't handle things the same way; prior to Mojave selecting a fine art paper and margins was necessary to get true matte printing.  Now it isn't clear to me how to accomplish the same thing, and the results are pretty bad, as I would expect to see with photo black being used on matte paper.  I'm doing this from Photos, the old dialog and process seems to be availble from Affinity Photo.

What are the magic settings to get true matte printing from the new UI in Apple Photos?  Is it possible at all?

Mojave Print Dialog.pngIf you choose ColorSync then you should be able to select PPPPMatte  ICC profile and media type in the appropriate dropdowns.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

All of the papers I've profiled i run as high density fine art or fine heavy fine art. All of Hahnemuhle's matte papers are run as High Density Fine Art or Heavy Fine Art. I'm not sure what they were before Mojave, since I already had Mojave when I got my Canon Pro-1000. 

jackygag
Contributor

I have exactly the same issue and I don't understand why Canon don't update there documentation!

The only thing I know is if you see the old dialog in an app like Affinity, its because the app was generate with an old SDK. Photos or Apple apps are always using the last SDK.

Announcements