cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magenta cast at the top of prints with Canon Pro-1000

DariusHosseini
Contributor

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have been consistently printing with my Canon Pro-1000 for almost 3 years now. I am experiencing the following issue with many of my prints:

Correct appearanceCorrect appearance

Magenta cast at top of printMagenta cast at top of print

I have run numerous cleaning cycles, deep cleaning cycles and even system cleaning. My nozzle checks were very hit and miss. Sometimes they'd come out fine, but it wouldn't take long for them to indicate issues again. I have even since replaced the printhead, but I was shocked to find the yellow colour still not coming through properly on the nozzle check. This didn't make any sense to me, because how could a brand new printhead be clogged prior to printing anything but the head alignment sheets?

Anyway, it only took one clean to fix this issue and I generally don't have any problems with my nozzle checks. However, the magenta cast is STILL appearing and even Canon's support seem absolutely baffled by this!

This is not a consistent issue and does not occur on every print. It also seems less likely to occur on a borderless print.

Would anyone have any idea as to what the issue could be that is causing this?

Any help is much appreciated.

37 REPLIES 37

Stephen

Hello!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know more information.

Do you see any error messages?
Which version of Windows or macOS are you using?
How do you connect to your printer (USB or WiFi)?

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue (such as the software you're using to print your work and the paper you're using).

If you're in the United States, and this is an urgent support need, please click HERE to visit your My Canon Account to discover your personalized support options.

If you're outside the USA, please click HERE to find support options in your country.

Thanks, and have a great day!

There are no error messages and the MacOS I am using is Ventura 13.2. I only recently updated my OS from Monterey and the issue was also present then.

I have two Canon Pro-1000s and both are connected wirelessly. My more recent Canon Pro-1000 performs perfectly, but the 3 year old one is the one experiencing the issue (even with a brand new printhead).

Whether I print using Canon's Professional Print & Layout software or Apple's own print dialog via Preview, the issue still occurs.

I use extra heavyweight fine art paper and pro luster paper. The issue does seem to occur much less on the pro luster paper but it is still occasionally present.

Many thanks

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Check and see if the CO cartridge might be contaminated.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

How can I tell if the CO cartridge is contaminated?

I replaced the CO cartridge and printed a perfect nozzle check:

Nozzle CheckNozzle Check

I managed to print 7 prints with no issues, before it returned again as pictured here:

IMG_1020.JPG

Obviously it's less noticeable above, but that's probably due to the colour being a very pale yellow / beige

I wonder if it's not so much a magenta cast in the upper portion, but a lack of green.   Though wouldn't know why green wouldn't get printed to that area when it works in other areas.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi jrhoffman75

I have the same issue and am trying to get to the bottom of it. Could you please explain why the CO cartridge is relevant here? Have you seen evidence of this causing the issue described? And if so, could you point me to it? 

Many thanks

Bhavin UK

DariusHosseini
Contributor

So this is interesting... The first time I've ever seen it banded like this at the top. Does this bring us any closer to a solution?

IMG_1023.jpg

As an aid in possible debugging run a nozzle check immediately after you get a strange printout.

I don't own the Pro-1000 and am not a printer expert, but I have seen posts where folks reported contamination of the CO by cross-leakage in the head.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Will give it a shot when the issue next appears. In the meantime I'm testing 'unidirectional printing' as Canon suggests that as a troubleshooting tip. Will see if this makes any difference.

Announcements