cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAGENTA CAST ON B&W PRINTS (PRO-100)

ed_vatza
Enthusiast

I thought I had my Pro-100 issues raised in a separate post all but resolved. But alas even after using Print Studio Pro, I still find a slight magenta cast in the actual print. I'm not sure what to do to correct it. I'm attaching a screen capture of the PSP settings. Any suggestions?

EDScreen Shot 2016-04-17 at 10.18.36 AM.png

Canon 5DMkIII...Canon 35mm f/1.4L II... Canon 50mm f/1.2L... Canon 85mm f/1.8... Canon 135mm f/2.0L
and dare I add... a Canon F-1 with 35mm, 50mm, and 135mm FD lenses
Pixma Pro-100 & Epson 3800 Printers
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just got off the phone with Canon. One line take away... there's nothing you can do.

I was told my setting are all correct.  The magenta cast is due to the ink being dye based and it is more pronounced the glossier the paper. According to the printer rep, the color casting should be better with semi-gloss than with gloss and better with luster than semi-gloss and even better with matte than with luster. 

Otherwise there is nothing I can do. Oh well. I guess I will run a Epson 3800/Canon PRO-100 comparison on Moab Entrada Matte which I have here.

FOLLOW UP -- I ran a comparison using Red River Artic Polar Satin (semi-gloss for Canon printers and luster for Epson printers). No cast. Both look the same. SUCCESS!  It's all about the papers. 

Ed

Canon 5DMkIII...Canon 35mm f/1.4L II... Canon 50mm f/1.2L... Canon 85mm f/1.8... Canon 135mm f/2.0L

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Sorry, I am not familiar with your other thread.  Are you saying the tint appears in printed hard copies, on the screen, or both?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Printed hard copies only. They look perfect on screen.

Ed

The settings look correct Ed. One thing to try would be to use ICC profile for paper to see if that makes a difference.

Also, since you have a B&W file you could try Use ICC Profile in color option rather than B&W. When I print B&W from Lightroom I treat the file same as a color file in Print module.

I printed a test image on Plus Glossy II from Lightroom using printer manages option and Lightroom manages option.

The printer created a print with a brownish cast.

With Lightroom amanging it was better, but still with a slight cast. I used the Other Glossy paper 2 profile option.

Then I printed on Pro Luster with Lightroom managing and it was perfect.

Print Studio Pro provides an option for a test pattern. You could do that, find the image that looks best to you and use the settings to adjust the printer.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you for the detailed response, John. And thank you for running some test prints. I have some Premium Luster coming tomorrow so I will try again with that paper tomorrow. 

That said, I am still... I'm not even sure what word to use... confused, frustrated...

I acknowledge that the Plus Glossy II may not be the best paper in the world. And I readily admit that I don't really use glossy papers at all. My favorite papers include Moab Entrada on the matte end and Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique on the semi-gloss end. That said, I had the Plus Glossy II laying around and used it for the tests. It is a Canon paper and I would think it should work best in a Canon printer. Yet regardless of what I do, I get the color cast. However put the same Canon paper in the Epson 3800 and the prints look perfect. No cast all all. That doesn't really make sense to me. Why does this Canon paper perform better in the Epson than in the Canon?

I know all papers are different. I have run the same color and same B&W image through my 3800 with a wide variety of papers before settling in on the two mentioned above. They all look different. And while the Epson papers worked great on the Epson printer, I just found that I preferred the other two. 

So again anyway, I have now run the same B&W image through the PRO-100 on 5 different papers including the Baryta Photographique and the Plus Glossy II and have seen the cast, in varying degrees, on all five. 

I'm thinking I may also give Canon customer support a call today and see what they have to say. The PRO-100 has got to work with more than just one paper.

I've been very happy with the 3800. But the PRO-100 came when I purchased the 5DMkIII back in January. (I had used a 5DMkII in the past but about 4 years ago I sold all my Canon gear and went Leica. After 4 years with Leica, I decided to go back to Canon. And voila, I now own a PRO-100.) I like the idea of a second printer. I like the idea of a dye ink and a pigment ink printer. I just want the results to be as close to the same as possible and at this point they are not. I would probably only exhibit or sell prints from the 3800 at this point.

If you got this far, thanks for listening.

Ed

Hi Ed.

I also use Canson Baryta Photographique 310; great results.

I use this test image on any new papers to see how they print.  http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

I print through Lightroom.

Definitely worth a call to Canon.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Just got off the phone with Canon. One line take away... there's nothing you can do.

I was told my setting are all correct.  The magenta cast is due to the ink being dye based and it is more pronounced the glossier the paper. According to the printer rep, the color casting should be better with semi-gloss than with gloss and better with luster than semi-gloss and even better with matte than with luster. 

Otherwise there is nothing I can do. Oh well. I guess I will run a Epson 3800/Canon PRO-100 comparison on Moab Entrada Matte which I have here.

FOLLOW UP -- I ran a comparison using Red River Artic Polar Satin (semi-gloss for Canon printers and luster for Epson printers). No cast. Both look the same. SUCCESS!  It's all about the papers. 

Ed

"It's all about the papers."

How true!  The Pro-100 uses all the ink tnaks to print B&W.  One might think it would just use the black but that isn't true.

It is not possible to print 256 shades of grey with one, two or even three black or grey ink tanks.  So they must use all the ink tanks.

Doing this can cause a color cast to a B&W print.  It is usually a reddish or magenta cast.  But I have seen a greenish cast on some papers.

Red River will help you select a paper that wil work best with the Pro-100.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes, I have seen both magenta and greenish casts at different times. At this point, I have gotten pure B&W prints with the PRO-100 on Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique and Red River Artic Polar Satin. I just got some Canon Pro Luster and will try it. I also want to try the RR San Gabriel Baryta but haven't sent in an order yet. In short, while I generally use the Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique (Semi-gloss) or Moab Entrada (Matte) for almost all of my printing, I am always experimenting with different papers.

Ed

"I just got some Canon Pro Luster and will try it."

OK, good luck! I doubt you will like it after Red River Artic Polar Satin.  But let me know what you think.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements