cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lack of EZ Photo Print PRO on the PRO-100 ONLY

paulvzo
Contributor

I've been using Canon printers for fifteen years, I think, so this is not so overly picky newbie observation.  For the last five years, iP4300 and 4500's, and a 9000 MK II.  All come with the Easy Photo Print EX, as does the PRO-100 printer.  Way too "EZ" for me, I can just use the built in printer dialogue boxes, thank you very much.  

Not so long ago I discovered the Easy Photo Print PRO, which requires either an Adobe product, or Canon's Digital Photo Professional.   Not having a Canon digital camera, I did find a source to download the original DPP 1.0, then upgraded straight off of an EOS Canon page. 

Very nice!  All of the dialogue boxes into one, or almost one screen.  And what is really worth the price of admission, the "Pattern Print."   What we old wet darkroom types called a "ring around."  Wow!  Fine tune your color profile w/o expensive profiling equipment. 

So yesterday I got a new PRO-100 which added the Print Studio Pro to the DPP.  Of course I check it out.  HORRIBLE!   First, I just HATE this trend of gray text on black backgrounds.  Who thought this *&*^$% up?  Form did not follow function.  Then, all the choices, which seem to be pretty much the same as the EZPP PRO, are packed into a long slider box on the right.  Said sliders are very narrow, very hard to grab and move. 

OK, I'll just no use this and continue with the EZPP PRO, right?  Wrong!  The latter recognizes both the iP4500 and the 9000, but not the PRO-100, while the new PSP sees all three printers.  Upon looking at all the current PRO printers, ONLY the PRo-100 does not list the EZPP PRO as compatible! 

What's up with that, Canon?  This is illogical and really frustrating, especially for a long time Canon fan leading the charge against the Epson lemmings.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the various print programs, nothing changes. 

So at this point, with my PRO-100 I'm forced to either wade through dialogue boxes or find my anger rising with PSP.   The bit of good news is that one can get a "Pattern Print" from Manual Color adjustment, "Print a pattern for color adjustment."

Rant done.  Awaiting immediate resolution from Canon.  Yeah, right.

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Not having a Canon digital camera, ..."

And you thought you needed DPP?  WOW, I find this ...... odd. Smiley Frustrated   But to each his own, I guess.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I only need DPP to run the plug-ins. For many reasons, I don't/won't use Adobe photo programs. Argument for another day.
The plug-ins give an easier user interface with the printer dialogue boxes, ironically called Easy Setup.

" I don't/won't use Adobe photo programs"

I don't even want to get into why.  That fight is blazing on many sites and does not need to be here.  But I will say, make sure you aren't hurting yourself with that decision.

EB

Well, I didn't get into the Adobe, pro/con, did I? I'm such a gentleman. The only way I could hurt myself is to pay a lot of money (which I don't have to spare) for programs that just aren't intuitive to me, to look at those damnable gray print on black backgrounds eyeball breakers, and have the use and control of programs so locked down I can't make a transfer to another machine without a call to Adobe.

I'm a hobbyist, not in the graphics business, so I have lots of options. Nor do I do things because "everyone" does it, or it was the first program out there (Photoshop.)

For quick looks at files and simple things, Irfanview. For complete digital asset management, digiKam. Open source, designed by Linux users, is ported to Windows, with maybe 95% good results. If I ever started working with layers and photoshop type manipulations, there's always The Gimp.

For a po' boy like me, these are all I need and all are free.

Reason enough.  I use PS but I do have my 'issues' with Adobe.

EB

Some time in abode much more creative issue and printing machine use be care because image different it sow it.

What?

EB
Announcements