cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got the Pro 10 colors are completely off

JenL256
Contributor

I previously owned the Canon Pro 9500 II, loved it, colors matched my screen perfect. Prints from my photo lab also match monitor and Pro 9500 prints. 

The print head died on me, so I decided to upgrade to the Pro 10 and now I'm completely frustrated. Tried printing some photos and the colors are different and much darker. Using the same paper and settings as before.

The bigger problem, I use my printer for graphics works too and the colors are not even close. A few of the designs look passable, but others are completey different. Colors look fine on my monitor and other devices and printed on the Pro 9500 II as I see them on the screen. But, on the Pro 10, they're way off. Aqua now looks blue, neon green is printing a dark kelly green, red looks darker, etc. I'm using Epson Prestation Paper (only coated thin paper I've found) on the 9500, I would use the setting for Matte Paper standard quality with excellent results. Tried Matte Paper and also plain paper settings on the pro 10 and can't get them to look right.

I know the colors were fine before, never had a customer complain, but now nothing matches. I've upgraded printers before and there's always subtle differences in the print quality but this isn't even close.

Any suggestions? FYI, I'm using Paint Shop Pro X6 to print.

30 REPLIES 30

ashleydawn42, 

I have TERRIBLE luck printing from Silhouette Studio. I don't know what in the world that program does, but it is always terrible quality and I've never managed to figure out why in the world the quality is so awful coming from there. I wish I could be more of a help. Does it only print that way from Studio? Or is it printing that way from any program you use? The only thing I can think is if you're using the print & cut feature, to check Silhouette Facebook groups  (they are surprisingly really helpful on a lot of things with them), and to also Google setting your color profile with Silhouette Studio. I'm sorry you're so frustrated, I can relate to that feeling! My gut is telling me it has something to do with the color profile. Fingers crossed for you that you get a resolution soon! 

ashleydawn42
Contributor
^^^ thank you for your help. I just feel like there's nothing that will solve it 😞 I have had clients waiting for over a week and I haven't even got to start because I'm trying to fix my color issue.

ashleydawn42
Contributor
I didn't know if anyone would know what that was lol. Glad to hear it might just he the program. I actually emailed silhouette to see if they had another way I could print. I really do love my printer but I just wish it would print colors correctly. I'm a part of a Facebook group for the program so I'll ask there too. Thanks!

ashley,

Now it is making more sense.  The wrong profile and even the software can be the cause of even one color being off.  Either thinks you want it done that way.

I can not stress enough to you to do what I have suggested.  Every bit!  You have a very good printer and it will deliver very good results but you have to do your homework first.  And if you did, it has to be your editor, in this case Silhouette  which I am not famialr with at all.

I have three of these printers and I sell the prints so I know what you are going through.

The wrong profile can also be the problem.  You may experiment with a different one, or simply try the Plain paper one.

In PS I can adjust just the blue channel.  If I see too much blue or too dark or even the shade, I can fix that.  I don't know if Silhouette has that feature.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ashleydawn42
Contributor
It has the feature where you can slide the dials . Wish I could post a photo from my phone. The difference is crazy with my blues

ashleydawn42
Contributor
Are all printers like this? Where you have to find the perfect setting?? Or is this just that type of printer?

"Are all printers like this? Where you have to find the perfect setting?? Or is this just that type of printer?"

ashley,

No all printer are not like this.  You have moved into the area of a real. dedicated, photo printer.  It has 10 different ink cartridges and each is individually adjustable.  The Pro-10 uses pigment ink instead of dye.  Which you may be more famular with.  Pigment inks tend to print darker colors than dye so you must adjust accordingly.

Does your software editor allow plug-ins?  The Print Studio Pro that comes with the Pro-10 can help and is probably the easiest way to get acceptable color.  And if it does you should install it and use it.

I am beginning to think the Pro-10 may not have been the best choice for your aaplication.  Although it will print anything just like any other printer, it really shines as a photo and/or fine art printer on the approprate meduim.  It does B&W better than most any other printer I have ever seen.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ashleydawn42
Contributor
I have the pro-100. I just tried on matte paper and colors were done so it's just trying to find that even ground.

I mainly got it for my etsy shop BUT I am also a photographer so I thought it would be perfect to be able to use with both business. I'm doing good on matte but the semi gloss has been a little hard to get right.

ashleydawn42
Contributor
Colors were fine **

ashleydawn42
Contributor
I tried the plain paper setting but browns turned a light brown / red color, purples turned pink, greens turned yellow.. Almost too bright and saturated. I can't seem to find that middle ground.
Announcements