cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ink cartridge stuck in Cannon Pro-1000

nmiklosic
Apprentice

I am unable to eject the PM ink cartrige from my Cannon Pro-1000 printer to change out the ink. The pop to release seems jammed and I see a way to fix it. Can anyone help? 

55 REPLIES 55

If you're experiencing an issue with your printer, please contact support at 1-800-652-2666 Monday through Friday from 8am to 8pm (ET) or via your My Canon Account at canon.us/account

The only Service Notice for the imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 is THIS ONE which references serial numbers with prefix AEGL and the potential for ink leaking, NOT cartridges becoming stuck in the unit. If you're impacted by the Service Notice, please follow the instructions at the link. 

We are Canon USA. We do not support products sold or used outside of the USA. If you are not in the USA, please contact Canon in your country or region for your support options by clicking HERE.

They are replacing mine with serial # starting 'AEHT'.

Obviously, I'm very happy with Canon's service support on this problem.  FedEx scheduled to deliver this Thursday 1/7

Glayva
Apprentice

I have posted my solution before.  No point in going to Canon.  They know of this problem.  It is a basic design fault that cannot be rectified. So, expect a new printer in near future.

My solution was to use a small plastic kitchen tonge, similar for turning over food in a frying pan, then wiggling into the narrow slits either side of the ink cartridge.  A little bit of patience and brute force should release the catridge.  It is a terrible fault but nothing can be done to solve the basic ffault.

pjglad
Enthusiast

My warranty expires tomorrow. All my ink cartridges have been low (< than 10%) for weeks. So, I removed all 12 cartridges without issue and then inserted 12 new cartridges without issue. This was my first cartridge replacement. 

Question - does this issue typically happen during first replacment, second replacement or is it a random event?

Thanks.

May never happen for you. May only be a certain batch of serial numbers.  May have been fixed in current machines.  Only Canon knows.  Actually considering number of printer they have probably shipped, there have not been a lot of mention online about it, which you would expect if multiple 1000s had the problem

Hi All,

An update: Just before Xmas, I wrote a (very polite) letter to the CEO of Canon UK, pointing out that as Canon had now identified that faulty springs were responsible for jammed cartridges, perhaps he would consider:

1. Identifying and publicising the serial numbers of those printers affected

2. Offering affected customers replacement printers

3. Offering some measure of compensation to those customers who bought second printers through no fault of their own.

To date, I've received no reply, so I'm posting a hard copy of my letter to him today.

This is my message (sent twice) to CANON  without any confirmation :

Dear all, for sure I am not the only one having problems releasing one or more (6 in my case) ink tanks.
I always enjoy working with Canon products and in this case it's, as far as I can read (s. below), not easy to accept this short lifespan.
I am not willing to test alternative methods as other consumers did. This will be the end of any recommendations and other purchases.
Please let me know about my options. Thanks for your efforts!  

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=135481.0

I had the same problem with 2 of the cartridges - it took about 30  attempts to push to release the spring, I was about ready to grab the tools and tried the 31st push - and it released - the 2nd one also then released.   Not sure what the difference was, but maybe worth trying a few times.   

My printer is a couple of years old and it has been transported internationally (using the documented procedure). After about three years in the new location and being through multiple sets of ink, a new round of replacement started. I'm now experiencing the same, well documented problem.

Unfortunately your method didn't work for me, after trying for at least as many times. Most but not all cartridges seem to be affected.

Here is my procedure (no tools other than the index finger of your dominant hand):

[ proceed at your own risk ; may not work for very large hands ]

1) gently insert your index finger upside down into the gap underneath the stuck cartridge until the finger tip feels resistance

2) apply pressure upwards (towards the stuck cartridge); you should feel the locking mechanism disengaging

3) while still applying upwards pressure, slowly pull the the finger out; the cartridge should become free

4) as soon as it has moved a bit, it should be possible to grab it by the sides with the other hand; gently pull the cartridge and your finger out

Following those steps, I managed to pull several cartrdiges without applying force. The replacement cartridges slotted in fine but the spring mechanism remains broken.

Thanks!

It worked for me, but I'am still disappointed! 

What other companies in the photo industry, like Sigma Photo, for the SIGMA 28-70mm F2.8 DG DN | Contemporary lens  announced :

......we would like to inform you below that we would like to collect all the products with the target serial number and replace them with new ones.

This behaviour is the right one, if you want to keep your loyal customers!

Announcements