cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ink cartridge stuck in Cannon Pro-1000

nmiklosic
Apprentice

I am unable to eject the PM ink cartrige from my Cannon Pro-1000 printer to change out the ink. The pop to release seems jammed and I see a way to fix it. Can anyone help? 

55 REPLIES 55

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Give canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi nmiklosic,

I agree with jrhoffman75, please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance. You will have the option to speak to one of our phone or live chat agents.

Contact Us.

We look forward to hearing from you.

The same thing has happened to me - a single cartridge (Chroma Opimiser - CO) is stuck, and won’t come out. 

I was wondering if there is a DIY fix for this, or whether I need to try to get an engineer out to fix it, which will be very expensive, because it’s out of warranty...

Canon UK took me through all the various ‘switch off / on’ options to no avail - it seems it’s a mechanical issue. Grrrr....

Jobetim

Hi ArthurJ,
I recently experienced the same stuck cartridge issue on my Pro-1000 and contacted the support group. However, there was no clear answer to the problem. Are you aware how the other reports were resolved? Customer support did not appear to have any records on this issue.
Cheers,
Dragon44

Hi Dragon44,

Ink cartridges being stuck in the Pro-1000 series printers is not a common occurrence, but it may happen for various reason. That's why we recommend customers call and talk to one of our technical support representatives. I can not say if the previous cases were resolved or required repaired.

Jobetim
Contributor
I posted earlier on this. A Canon engineer visited last week, and confirmed what I already knew - the CO cartridge was stuck. After a lot of pushing and wiggling, he finally got it freed, but then it wouldn’t click back in again. The cartridge next door (Blue) was also stuck. The engineer advised me that any repair would mean a strip-down of the printer, from the top down, involving several hours of labour, which made it uneconomic to repair. And, it’s out of warranty, of course...He told me he had not seen this problem before, so just my bad luck eh? So, a top-of-the-range professional printer, costing about £1000 (I’m in London) and used only lightly as an amateur, is now scrap; simply because the cartridge mechanism failed; with a total of about 3 ink exchanges only. Now I have to make a decision about whether to buy another Pro-1000, or go to Epson. Not happy.

Hi Jobetim,

Thanks for your follow-up response! I have the identical CO cartridge stuck problem and share your frustration. Now that I know it is viewed as uneconomical to repair I will need to decide on a new printer or attempt the repair myself. However, per Technical Support there are no service manuals, technical drawings or schematics available to support repairing it yourself.

I had the same problem and also received the same respone from canon, really a bad construction.

However I managerd a workaround.

The issue seems to be a spring that's yamming/breaks off, you can see part of this mechanism in the little square holes on the bottom of where you put in each cartridge. 

No real way of reaparining these as, as the customer support already said it requires stripping the whole thing down. However, the printer does not have any sensor for feeling that the sring itelf is working as long as the cartridge is pushed in so that the chip connects it still works, mind the acutal sledge helping it to "get out".

Hence with a pair of pliers and a little bit of wiggling you manage to get the old cartridge out. THen you are able to put the new one in. It sits a littl bit uptilted but the stem sucking in the ink and sealing on the cartridge are well constructed enought  to work without leakage and the since the chip is also connected the printer manages to "mount" the cartridges. They also work as they should as far as I know when the printer agitats them. 

Not the best answer and I know that Canon won't  be to happy. But if they manage to construct it this well and won't bother to repair it, at least it can hopefully make the printer usable for us coustomers as more than just an oversized paperweight as the printing-quality is really superb.

I hope this helps

Thanks Hattman!

I’ll try your workaround. Did you find that all of the ink cartridges became stuck (interlinked), or that others worked when one was stuck? I haven’t run low enough on the other cartridges yet to test it. However, it appears that the spring in the square hole is missing in more than one cartridge.

Announcements