Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

How to size image for paper on Pro-100?

When specifying "Page Layout: Normal-size" on my Pixma Pro-100 the result is that the driver establishes a narrow border around the edge of the paper where nothing is printed.  I believe this causes the image to be scaled in the manner necessary to allow for the entire image to be preserved (i.e., visible) on whatever size paper is being used.  In some cases, when editing an image I elect to size it for the paper I intend to print it on.  In that, the objective is to prevent the driver from altering the image when printing.  One benefit is that the border can/should be be the same width on all 4 sides.  In order, to do this it is necessary to be able to know the actual size of the border that the driver intends to use for whatever size paper is being printed.

Therefore, I'd like to know how to determine/predict the size of the border that the driver will use when "Page Layout:  Normal-size" is specified on the Page Setup tab of the Pro-100 driver.  How can this be done?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to size image for paper on Pro-100?

What software are you using to print?  This may depend on your software.

With the Canon Print Studio Pro, I’ve printed (I have a PRO-10) all the way to the edge... but the default margins (if I don’t change them) do leave a border.  It lets me adjust those margins back so I can print to the edge.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

There is lots of different software that I use for editing but a good example would be GIMP which is something I use to make my own borders (frames if you prefer).  My principal reason for doing this is to add text which describes the picture.  In that, a substitue for how people used to write on the back of their prints.  In the digital age my thinking is that there is no back so this kind of thing needs to be moved to the image itself.  I haven't yet figured out whether or not we can expect digital images to outlast prints but it doesn't look to me like any reasonable answer will be known during my lifetime.  Therefore, I think captions should appear both on the digital as well as the printed version of any pictures being passed on to future generations.

One reason for choosing my Pro-100 was the borderless printing feature which seems to work fairly well.  With GIMP I size the image for the intended photo paper size.  However, it seems that even with this feature the Canon driver wants to alter the image by enlarging it a bit which I gather masks possible inaccuracy in the actual printing.  The Canon documentation suggests that using this method may result in inaccurate prints.  It isn't clear from the documentation whether this inaccuracy pertains only to the border area or not.  If so this seems quite reasonable.

In cases where printing is intended but where the unprinted border is desired, I'd still prefer to limit (minimze) the amount of alteration being undertaken by the driver.  Since, during editing, I can size the image to make it whatever I want I should be able to size it in a manner that the driver does NOT alter the image AT ALL when it is being printed.  I'm thinking that if I make it either smaller or larger than what the paper supports the driver is going to alter it.  Therefore to prevent this I need to know precisely what size will exactly fill the area available on the chosen paper from the drivers perspective.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You can control the amount of extension is borderless printing in the printer driver.

If you haven't downloaded it, the Online Printer manual is a great resource.

2018-02-25 (1).png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I've tried both with and without extension.  On fairly small sized (e.g., 5x7) paper.  I presume that selecting NO extension when my image is the same size (e.g., 5x7) that the driver will NOT alter the image AT ALL but for some reason I wouldn't bet much on that being the case.  In my trial cases, which used images of mediocre quality I could NOT see anything that I'd call a problem.

What I'd like to do is be able to create an image that will NOT be altered AT ALL but when printed with the normal border.

Highlighted
New Contributor

How can I print a 10x13 photo on the Pro 100? (I have a frame that size)

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@jwreed04 wrote:

How can I print a 10x13 photo on the Pro 100? (I have a frame that size)

In your photo software crop the image to a 10x13 aspect ratio. Then print on a larger size paper and trim to size.

This screenshot is based on Lightroom. printing on 13x19 paper.

Annotation 2019-09-22 193503.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you. what software are you using in that screen shot in your message? (microsoft pic manager does not support that from what little i know of it) thanks

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Do you have any other photo software?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH