Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to know the width of the (unprinted) border?

Is it possible to precisely know/determine the width of the border when printing in "Normal" mode on my Pixma Pro-100?  Does it vary by paper size?

I'd like to be able to prepare images to be printed in precisely the right size for printing with the border that the printer normally applies.  For example, if printing a photo on 5x7 paper what size should it be in order to consume all of the available space when using "Normal" mode.  In that, I don't want the driver to either crop or resize (i.e., change the print size specified by the software used to create the image).

Honored Contributor

Re: How to know the width of the (unprinted) border?

This might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI-J2cZapdo&t=27s

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
Frequent Contributor

I don't use LR but I did figure out how to do what is shown in the video.  That technique relies on allowing the driver to adjust (resize or crop) the image.  That is what I'm trying to prevent and therefore what prompted my question.

With that said, the commentator makes a point that I haven't fully appreciated (i.e., taken into account) which is that the printer is unable to precisely position the paper.  My question somewhat presumes that the positioning error is minor when compared to the border size being imposed by the driver.  If not, the result I'm seeking may be unachievable.

Even so, when using "normal" as opposed to "borderless" mode there must be a predetermined size associated with the border and it seems that the user ought to be able to know what it is (i.e., to include how to compute it if necessary).  At the same time, it is important to recognize that the result which can be obtained is limited by the printer's ability to correctly position the paper.  If the intended border size is known that would be a big help in using a set of results to determine just how correctly the printer is able to position the paper.  Might this be the reason for withholding such information?

Honored Contributor

Typically, cropping is a creative tool. Crop to get the image you want.

But, if the goal is to crop to maximize coverage of paper, the information is available in the Canon supplied On-Screen Manual

2019-01-12 (1).png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Frequent Contributor

Yes, that looks like what I was looking for.

To be sure I do crop and am trying to be creative.  However, I crop before printing and the creative part very much includes how it is going to look when printed.  For me, printing is most always the ultimate objective.

Something I didn't mention earlier which may help to understand my approach is that I often create my own border in which I like to add some text.  How the text prints matters whereas when only printing an image, I do understand that cropping a little something off of an edge could be seen as irrelevant.

When it comes to accurately positioning the paper, I now think, that my Pro-100, when using the rear feed tray, does a better job on the left to right (horizontal?) positioning than it does on the top to bottom (vertical?) positioning.  However, this is an observation based on pretty limited experience.  Does that make sense for those with real expertise?  If so and because the text I am talking about is typically only on the top and/or bottom borders, I'm thinking it might make sense to orient the paper accordingly in the feed tray.  This would mean placing the longer edge side to side (i.e., landscape orientation) in the feed tray when printing an image in portrait orientation.  Is that possible?  If so, is it a good or bad idea?  I've only ever fed the paper in portrait orientation.

Also, I have yet to figure out the purpose of the so-called "Manual Feed Tray" which interestingly is behind what is called the "Rear Feed Tray".  Might this be the reason for using the manual feed tray?

Honored Contributor

Manual feed tray is for heavier fine art papers. They aren't as flexible as thineer papers, so there is a straighter feed.

2019-01-13.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Frequent Contributor

Upon further review I now see that the referenced documentation does say that paper should always be loaded in portrait orientation.  In that, the idea I was pondering is a bad one.