cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anybody tried to refill the CLI-42 tanks for the Pro-100 (or use 3rd party tanks)?

DallasXanadu
Contributor

I'm looking for ink for my Pro-100 for the first time in a while. I'm just now realizing how scarce the OEM ink cartridges are getting to be. Delivery times - even on Amazon - are over a week, and I can't seem to find light gray at all, except as part of a complete set of 8 for $124. I broke down and ordered a full set from Comp and Save, a company I used for the old CLI-8 cartridges for many years. They seemed to work well with my Pixma 6000, and the prints still look great after several years. Hopefully I have just as good luck with the CLI-42 clones.

I'm curious as to what people on here that aren't going OEM are using. I've seen tutorials on how to refill the original Canon tanks, and I've seen several 3rd-party refillable ink cartridges, some with microchips and even chip resetters. And of course there are dozens of companies selling third-party cartridges - some of whom look more reputable than others. Does anybody have a solid recommendation on which way to go? Or just as importantly, a way NOT to go?  Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

On a somewhat related note, what the hell happened to the price of printers??? I got my Pro-100 for about $100 after rebate, there doesn't seem to be anything on the market at all comparable for less than about $700. I've been thinking about getting a backup, maybe I'll go the used route.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Folks that refill recommend Precision Color as the best. But even the strongest advocates acknowledge that if fade resistance is important nothing beats the Canon OEM.

Check Staples.com. I just checked and they have them for 2-day delivery here in New Hampshire.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

If you print a lot, refilling can be a cost effective way to go.  

Buying the refillble tanks and chip resetter is manditory to make it cost effective. 

Jose Rodriquez is one of the most trusted content creators.

https://youtu.be/_q0Kp64bhKM

He recommends:

Precision Colors C5B

I sold my Pro-100.  Didn't have the time.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Folks that refill recommend Precision Color as the best. But even the strongest advocates acknowledge that if fade resistance is important nothing beats the Canon OEM.

Check Staples.com. I just checked and they have them for 2-day delivery here in New Hampshire.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks! I did look at the Staples in my neighborhood, didn't look on the website. Honestly, I'm not that worried about fading. For the price of the cheaper inks, I can probably reprint the same photo a half dozen times and still come out ahead financially. I guess if I at some point start printing things my descendants will inherit, I'll make sure I use Canon ink. 🙂

Announcements