cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grey prints Green on Canon Pixma Pro-100 - HELP!

holmal
Apprentice

I have had a Canon Pixma Pro-100 for a couple months and have had no problems. All of sudden, anything grey is printing as green. I have been searching the web for help and have not been able to come up with anything. I typically print from adobe illustrator, but have tried in Preview and it's no different. 

Any thoughts/ideas/help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You can not set the printer to match the monitor.  You must set the monitor to match the printer.

First, you must not let the printer set anything.  Turn off every bit off control it has.  You can do this with the Canon My Printer under the Printer Settings tab.  Do you know how?  I will guess, yes, for now but if you don't get back to me.

Second, you need to have your photo editor (like Photoshop) handle all the print settings and color matching.  You know how to do this? I prefer Photoshop and I use AdobeRGB color space.

And lastly, it is essential you get some settings on your monitor that somewhat matches what the printer is printing.  Your printer may be doing exactly what you are telling it to do and you have no idea it is, because your monitor is so far off.  If you don't do this step, you can forget the other steps.  However, there are only a few things that you need to be concerned with. You don't need any fancy extra add-on to do this.  No additional software or gadgets, etc.  No monkeys, no spiders, nothing!

Most people set their monitors too bright.

You must get the gray-scale very close.  You need to get the brightness very close and you need the contrast very close.

After you do these things you can make adjustments to your prints by just looking at your screen.  Because you know the monitor and printer are on the same level.  One more point, you can NOT get a printer to print every color exactly the way you see it.  It isn't possible as all colors and adjustments effect all others.  My goal is to get the skin tones right.  That is what people notice most. Remember you are dealing with two different disciplines here.  One is colored light and the other is colored dyes.  They are not the same thing.

For instance, I know my Pro-100 tends to print slightly darker than what I see on the monitor (typical).  So, I automatically know to set it's prints 1/2 stop brighter in Photoshop, in my case.  It also prints with a slightly warn tone.  Most of the time, with portraits especially, this if OK but sometimes it is not.  In that case I adjust the "temp" setting slightly cooler in PS.

Make sure you have the correct ICC profiles and you are using Canon brand ink and paper until you get good with the printer.  Very, very important, otherwise you don't know if the printer is doing exactly what you are telling it to or not.

Important is, use the USB connection until everything is right.  You are just adding another issue when you try to set up the printing and the wireless all at the same time.  Just like using Canon branded products until it is a go.  Use a real printer USB cable.  Not just any old USB cable. Get everything right before you explore.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

57 REPLIES 57

Top point!

"When printing monochrome it is very important to avoid papers with optical brightening agents (OBAs)."

This is super important.  The selection of paper is paramount.  If you call Red River, they will recommend their best papers for B&W prints.

EB

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hi Karl.

Verify that you have the latest Canon driver. Other people have reported the Pro Platinum issue with the driver till they updated to the very latest.

You want 16.40.1.0

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hey JR,

Thanks for that. I noticed the newer driver in your screenshot and updated, seemed to fix the Pro Platinum issue but I'm glad to hear it did for others as well. 

Unfortunately I still have the green cast though I'm noticing that it's not nearly as bad on other Red River Papers as it is on their PaloDuro Satin, which is maybe why I didn't notice it at first (and it's also obviously less noticeable when printing color images). But it's still there on the others, just not as stark a difference as with the PD Satin, but still pretty major. I know inkjet printers have to mix color to make up gray, but it seems like something must be wrong for them all to go towards green like this.

Have you tried selecting B&W Print?

Monosnap 2020-03-24 18-20-53.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Set this option for notifications. 

0D8B9BD4-8A04-43FA-9F89-AE67D83340DF.jpeg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks, John, got it. I had settings right but was using an old email address for login so I wasn't seeing the replies. I've updated now.

Oh, I see you have that option there in your dialogue box but I don't have a "Printer Features" section in my options, even though we're both using LR Classic and the same printer and driver. I wonder why you have that extra page of options? I get some of the options via the other pages in that middle pull-down menu, but now B&W print anywhere, nor output resolution or halftoning or many of those. 

(Also I do still have the problem of color photos having a green tint anyway in the shadows--but having a way to choose B&W print would at least help with the monochrome images.)

Is there any reason to try a print-head cleaning even though my nozzle test came out well? The only thing I can think of, hardware-wise, that's changed is that I went a couple of months without trying to print anything. But again, nozzle test came out just like the one posted here.

Thanks again, John, for sticking with me. I swear I didn't always have this problem with the Pro-100. It's so strange. I wonder if I should try switching to Photoshop. Not that this should be happening anyway, and I never use PS for printing, but maybe it would shed some light if the problem didn't exist there as well--narrow it down to a Lightroom settings issue...?

Best,

Karl

Hi Karl. 

Very strange that we seem to get different results in the printer window.

One thing to try if you want - reset the printing system by right-clicking the printer in the Printers & Scanners section and re-install the printer.

When you press the "+" icon wait a while to be sure the IJ Series driver is there.

Allso, maybe using Print Studio Pro would help.

There's no harm in doing a head cleaning, except for some wasted ink.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

OK, thanks again, John. I did delete and re-add the printer a while back, and pretty sure I waited for the IJ Series. I know I made the mistake of choosing Bonjour once before and that gave me even fewer options than what I have now. But I've never seen the options you have for the Print button within LR Classic.

Is Print Studio Pro a stand-alone printing program? Do you use it regularly or do you recommend LR Classic in general (if I can get the "green problem" solved)?

I may try a head cleaning. I know nothing about this stuff, but I suppose if the magenta got a little gunked up or something, it could make things looks green? But then again, the nozzle test came out fine...

best,

karl

"I may try a head cleaning. I know nothing about this stuff,..."

You know you can keep fighting this or you can find the solution.  The head is not dirty. You may never get rid of it totally but start with a call to Red River and ask them.  B&W is not only a printer issue but it is a paper issue. Plus it is a software issue as well. If it is a paper issue changing printer settings will never fix it.

My Pro-100 prints with a magenta cast.  Just changing paper makes it better or worse. I can reduce it to almost nothing in PS along with the sliders in Canon My Printer.  Main, color intensity, manual.....

EB
Announcements