cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grey prints Green on Canon Pixma Pro-100 - HELP!

holmal
Apprentice

I have had a Canon Pixma Pro-100 for a couple months and have had no problems. All of sudden, anything grey is printing as green. I have been searching the web for help and have not been able to come up with anything. I typically print from adobe illustrator, but have tried in Preview and it's no different. 

Any thoughts/ideas/help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You can not set the printer to match the monitor.  You must set the monitor to match the printer.

First, you must not let the printer set anything.  Turn off every bit off control it has.  You can do this with the Canon My Printer under the Printer Settings tab.  Do you know how?  I will guess, yes, for now but if you don't get back to me.

Second, you need to have your photo editor (like Photoshop) handle all the print settings and color matching.  You know how to do this? I prefer Photoshop and I use AdobeRGB color space.

And lastly, it is essential you get some settings on your monitor that somewhat matches what the printer is printing.  Your printer may be doing exactly what you are telling it to do and you have no idea it is, because your monitor is so far off.  If you don't do this step, you can forget the other steps.  However, there are only a few things that you need to be concerned with. You don't need any fancy extra add-on to do this.  No additional software or gadgets, etc.  No monkeys, no spiders, nothing!

Most people set their monitors too bright.

You must get the gray-scale very close.  You need to get the brightness very close and you need the contrast very close.

After you do these things you can make adjustments to your prints by just looking at your screen.  Because you know the monitor and printer are on the same level.  One more point, you can NOT get a printer to print every color exactly the way you see it.  It isn't possible as all colors and adjustments effect all others.  My goal is to get the skin tones right.  That is what people notice most. Remember you are dealing with two different disciplines here.  One is colored light and the other is colored dyes.  They are not the same thing.

For instance, I know my Pro-100 tends to print slightly darker than what I see on the monitor (typical).  So, I automatically know to set it's prints 1/2 stop brighter in Photoshop, in my case.  It also prints with a slightly warn tone.  Most of the time, with portraits especially, this if OK but sometimes it is not.  In that case I adjust the "temp" setting slightly cooler in PS.

Make sure you have the correct ICC profiles and you are using Canon brand ink and paper until you get good with the printer.  Very, very important, otherwise you don't know if the printer is doing exactly what you are telling it to or not.

Important is, use the USB connection until everything is right.  You are just adding another issue when you try to set up the printing and the wireless all at the same time.  Just like using Canon branded products until it is a go.  Use a real printer USB cable.  Not just any old USB cable. Get everything right before you explore.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

57 REPLIES 57

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi holmal,

First, please make sure that the correct ink tanks are installed. Please open the printer and verify that the ink is installed correctly. From left to right, the ink should be:

CLI-42 M
CLI-42 PC
CLI-42 Y
CLI-42 BK
CLI-42 GY
CLI-42 PM
CLI-42 LGY
CLI-42 C

Next, a test should be performed of your printer. Please follow these steps to perform a Nozzle Check from the printer:

1. Turn the printer on and make sure paper is loaded into the sheet feeder, and not the Front Tray.

2. On your printer, press and hold the RESUME button until the printer light blinks white twice. When you release the button, the Nozzle Check pattern will be printed.

3. After the Nozzle Check pattern is printed, compare your printout to the example that has been attached to the bottom of this post.

4. If any colors are missing or if any horizontal lines are broken or missing, perform the print head cleaning procedure.

Please follow these instructions to perform a print head cleaning with the printer:

1. On your printer, press and hold the RESUME button until the printer light flashes one time.

2. When you release the RESUME button, the POWER light starts flashing and all colors will be cleaned. This will continue for about 30 seconds.

3. Wait for the light to stop flashing before you resume normal operation.

4. Try printing again. If the results are satisfactory, resume normal printing. If the results are not satisfactory, you may need to execute another print head cleaning.

Does the Nozzle Check that you printed match the sample attached below?  If it does not, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

PRO100 Nozzle Check.jpg

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You can not set the printer to match the monitor.  You must set the monitor to match the printer.

First, you must not let the printer set anything.  Turn off every bit off control it has.  You can do this with the Canon My Printer under the Printer Settings tab.  Do you know how?  I will guess, yes, for now but if you don't get back to me.

Second, you need to have your photo editor (like Photoshop) handle all the print settings and color matching.  You know how to do this? I prefer Photoshop and I use AdobeRGB color space.

And lastly, it is essential you get some settings on your monitor that somewhat matches what the printer is printing.  Your printer may be doing exactly what you are telling it to do and you have no idea it is, because your monitor is so far off.  If you don't do this step, you can forget the other steps.  However, there are only a few things that you need to be concerned with. You don't need any fancy extra add-on to do this.  No additional software or gadgets, etc.  No monkeys, no spiders, nothing!

Most people set their monitors too bright.

You must get the gray-scale very close.  You need to get the brightness very close and you need the contrast very close.

After you do these things you can make adjustments to your prints by just looking at your screen.  Because you know the monitor and printer are on the same level.  One more point, you can NOT get a printer to print every color exactly the way you see it.  It isn't possible as all colors and adjustments effect all others.  My goal is to get the skin tones right.  That is what people notice most. Remember you are dealing with two different disciplines here.  One is colored light and the other is colored dyes.  They are not the same thing.

For instance, I know my Pro-100 tends to print slightly darker than what I see on the monitor (typical).  So, I automatically know to set it's prints 1/2 stop brighter in Photoshop, in my case.  It also prints with a slightly warn tone.  Most of the time, with portraits especially, this if OK but sometimes it is not.  In that case I adjust the "temp" setting slightly cooler in PS.

Make sure you have the correct ICC profiles and you are using Canon brand ink and paper until you get good with the printer.  Very, very important, otherwise you don't know if the printer is doing exactly what you are telling it to or not.

Important is, use the USB connection until everything is right.  You are just adding another issue when you try to set up the printing and the wireless all at the same time.  Just like using Canon branded products until it is a go.  Use a real printer USB cable.  Not just any old USB cable. Get everything right before you explore.

EB

Canon My Printer ---> Printer Settings ---> Main ---> Manual ---> Set ---> Matching ---> None

EB

YEEEESSSS!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
I've been going crazy testing every way possible for days except for this way. I wasted 20 mins on the phone holding for someone at canon and then I emailed them, which got me no response. Thank you so much ebiggs1!

re:green tint print: when i press the resume button, nothing happens

pms
Contributor

resume button is not fuctioning 

Hi everyone, I know this is an old thread but I'm having this gray-as-green problem and  wondering which of ebiggs' pieces of advice fixed the problem for you, msvereda. I know something worked because you were very happy. If you happen to remember the solution 4 years later, please reply! Thank you!  - Karl

hello I am having the same problem. I can't get my b&w or color prints to look gray without a green tenting and it has been driving me crazy for many months, i know I've put over $100 directly into the trash with ink & photo paper trying every color setting possible :'( How can I do this on Mac I do not see the settings?

You did read my little set of instructios?  Do that first.

Now the problem with the Pro-100.  It can't print "true B&W".  But it can make very nice B&W prints.  The issue is the fact, no printer can print 256 shades of gray from one  black cartridge, none.  So what to do, the printer uses all the cartridges. All the colors are mixed to make the required gray-scale.

The biggest most 'bestest' thing you can do is use the correct B&W paper and ICC profile for it.  Red River paper company will help you. They have some very good B&W papers and they will instruct you in how to use them.

But first you must do the steps above.  Brightness/contrast and gray-scale must be set nearly perfect on your monitor.   Gray-scale shows the color tint.

EB
Announcements