cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color calibration for custom media types

the-ninth
Contributor

Good morning,

When creating a custom media type with the Media Configuration Tool, there is an option to create a Calibration Target, enabling Unique calibration for the custom media type.

Unfortunately Canon documentation does not really explain how this works.

My assumption is that creating the Calibration Target will determine target values and store them with the custom media type. When later running a calibration on that media type, adjustment values will be determined based on these target values and again stored with that custom media type. 

In other words, when running calibration on a custom media type, the printer will try to get back to the state when the Calibration Target was created.

From this assumption I would deduct the following regarding ICC profiles: when using a custom paper with the paper manufacturers ICC profile, it would make sense to stick to Common calibration to get the printer to a predefined state, hoping the paper manufacturer did the same. However when creating a custom ICC profile it would make sense to create a Calibration Target at the same time, to later be able to get the printer back into the state when the ICC profile was created. 

Can anyone here confirm this understanding? Or am I getting this completely wrong?

Out of frustration with the lack of documentation I have written my own. Any comments and opinions would be highly appreciated:

https://www.the-ninth.com/blog/canon-printer-calibration-guide

Regards, Robert

1 REPLY 1

Danny

Hi, Robert!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Announcements