cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color Managament in ProGraf Pro1000

jsk53
Contributor

I have just upgraded printers from the Canon Pixma Pro 9500 MkII to the new Canon ProGraf Pro 1000.  I got great prints from the Pro 9500 MkII but I wanted the bigger paper size the Pro 1000 gives me. Since the upgrade, I have a bunch of questions I don’t really see answers to in the manual. No particular order to my questions as I just jotted them down as I went along.

Does using specific paper .icc profiles take the place of custom or common color calibrations on the Prograf Pro 1000?

If so, how do you turn off printer color management in the Pro 1000 driver setup?

On my 9500Pro Mkll I was able to turn off printer color management and use the printer .icc setup in LIghtroom to manage color from my calibrated monitor. It does not appear I can do that in the ProGraf Pro1000 software. If I use the .icc profile for my paper in the Canon Print Studio Pro software, do I set the Lightroom print module to printer manages color?  I would think if I use both the Lightroom module to set the .icc as well as the Canon Print Studio software to the same .icc profile, it would be a potential conflict? Or, do I set the Canon software color management to auto and use Lightroom to choose the .icc profile?

I also noticed that in Lightroom, I have the color space set to ProPhoto RGB which I am told is the best color space to use for printing. When I open Print Studio Pro, it shows the embedded color space on the image as Adobe RGB 1998 and I cannot change that setting. If Lightroom has the image as Pro Photo and the printer driver Adobe RGB, how can soft proofing work?

Any direction I can get will be very much appreciated. I really want  to take advantage of all the great features of this printer. Thanks.

Jeff

23 REPLIES 23

paul1958
Contributor

Jeff

Did you get any answers. I have just upgraded tot eh 1000 and am getting awfully oversaturated colour using Luster in both LR & PS; yet it works fine in PSP. It is almost like a double profile but unlike the 9000 i cannot switch it off...frustrating and wasting paper by the bin full...

Cheers

Paul

http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/Manual/All/PRO-1000%20series/EN/BG/bg-003w.html

See page S002W. Looks like Pixma driver. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John

Thanks for the response; it is a print dialogue box issue - i only get 4 choices and none to do with colour; so i have found the cause (i think) but not the solution, BTW I use MAC so the manual advises re laod teh driver wihc i have 3 times. Time to call Canon.

Cheers

Paul

If you are on a MAc the problem might be that you have selected the Bonjour version of the printer driver rather than the IJ printer driver.

Go to System Preferences->Printers and Scanners and see what driver you have installed.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Ha ha ..that could be it as i did but i did not see another version - about to install again will check...

Thanks

Paul

Click "+" and just wait. Bonjour generally appears first and the the Canon driver appears.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Am at stage but no + button showing so just waiting to see what happens - thanks again. Interstingly 3 printers on our nextywork are all showing bonjour...

The "+" is the Add Printer button in the Printers and Scanners window. Sorry for confusion.

The Bonjour driver is an Apple general purpose driver. You miss all the enhanced properties of the manufacturer driver.

Cursor_and_Printers___Scanners.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Have done that and the printer appears in the preferences but nothing in the driver dialogue box....yet

Announcements