cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma Pro-100 printing too green!

mdposas
Apprentice

Hi everybody, I'm trying to make some fine art prints of my original paintings.

I had professional high resolution photos taken of my work, and have edited the colors in photoshop (with monitor set to medium brightness... I know that sometimes bright monitors are to blame for color discrepancies). I am printing from photoshop and set the colors to be managed by photoshop, yet in many of my paintings the colors are way too green. And yes, I've also downloaded the correct ICC profiles for the types of paper I'm using.

20161012_172750.jpg

Is there any setting on the printer to help with this? Help!

38 REPLIES 38

Right now Canon is giving a free Photo Paper Sampler pack if you buy 2 CLI-42 inks from their eStore.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cli-pro-series-inks

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@dlanier wrote:

below are the canon profiles that installed with the printer. I'll go to their website to see if I can find some specific paper profiles.

I have re-calibrated my monitor so many times I can't count them.

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 11.17.11 AM.png

A note on decoding what these mean...

It's the value in angle brackets that you look at.  E.g. "<LU>" or "<PT>".

If you were to look at, say, Canon Pro Luster paper:  https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/photo-paper-pro-luster-13x19-50-sheets

Below the bold title "Luster" on the box, you'll see the words "Photo Paper Pro Luster" and "LU-101"  It's that "LU" that matches to the printer profile.  Regardless of what size sheet (e.g. 4x6", 5x7", 13x19", etc.) they will ALL be "LU-101".  So you use the profile values for "LU" when using that paper.

But you'll also notice there are TWO profiles installed for that paper.  

- Canon PRO-100 <LU> 1/2 Photo Paper Pro Luster

- Canon PRO-100 <LU> 3 Photo Paper Pro Luster

The difference is just the print QUALITY setting you select.  (It's using the SAME paper ... but you changed the printer quality level).   The first profile should used if you select quality 1 or 2.  The second profile should be used if you select quality 3.  (becuase changing quality changes how the printer applies ink so it changes the color profile).

I picked on Luster as an example, but you'll find this with several of the profiles (more than one profile entry per that same paper type.)

Hopefully this helps.  I noticed (as did John) that you appear to using papers that don't exactly match your profiles and this can explain why you aren't getting good results.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks John and Tim. The clerification on the paper profiles is a big help. I kept thinking what the heck is 1/2 photo paper glossy! Now I see it's 1 and 2 glossy. 

I tried Canon glossy photos paper with the 1/2 & 3 photo paper glossy profiiles and the Canon Pro Luster that came with the printer using the Canon Pro Luster profile and both had the same green color cast.  I'll have to try some othe papers. 

vander
Contributor

I am also facing color problems while printing on a cardstock paper. After doing my research online I came across that Pixma pro 100 is a good printer for cardstock as mentioned by many sites like this one. The printing job is fine but the colors are different from the real images. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Good morning vander.

How different are the colors? Is your monitor color profiled? What media type are you choosing? 

Download load and print this test image without making any adjustments. 

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I did the same thing from a different PC and it works fine. Now the colors look same as I can see them on the monitor. I think the issue was the monitor color settings.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If you are getting a green cast with Luster paper using the Luster profile and the straight Outback Photo test image then I think its a printer problem. Is your nozzle check printing OK?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Just did another print using Canon Print Studio Pro, Canon Pro Luster paper and the Canon 3 Pro Luster profile and still get a green color cast.

The test print pattern looks good but on my monitor the colors are way more saturated.

I also took an image file to a local retailer and had a print made. Got the same color cast which to me indicates a problem with my monitor calibration. I use a Spyder5 with Spyder 5Elite app. Any thoughts on this hardware and app?

If I understand orrectly, when you print the OutbackPhoto test image without making any adjustments to it then it prints well, but doesn’t look like monitor. It’s when you edit an image based on monitor view that you get the color cast?

What monitor settings afe are you using for calibration? I use the Xrite i1, so I cant directly help with your Spyder. 

My my settings are 80 cd/m^2, gamma 2.2, D65 Illuminant. I edit in a darker room.  More normal lighting maybe 100-120 cd/m^2. 

Does your monitor have any built in settings, such as sRGB or Adobe RGB that you could select?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

"If I understand orrectly, when you print the OutbackPhoto test image without making any adjustments to it then it prints well, but doesn’t look like monitor. It’s when you edit an image based on monitor view that you get the color cast?"

Yes that is correct

"What monitor settings afe are you using for calibration? I use the Xrite i1, so I cant directly help with your Spyder."

Gamma 2.2, D65, 65 cd/m^2 (to compensate for dark prints)

"Does your monitor have any built in settings, such as sRGB or Adobe RGB that you could select?"

Not that I'm aware of or using on purpose.

I just noticed something interesting. When I'm in Lightroom and send the image to Print Studio Pro the image is much darker. I have to add +15 to the brightness to match what I see in Lighroom.

Announcements