Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Canon Paper for B&W Portraits

I started using a “Pixma Pro-100”. I will be printing B&W prints  (Portraits) about 75% of the time. What Canon paper would be best for this purpose?

TIA for your help.

Nikon D600; Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G, 85mm f/1.8G, 70-300mmG f/4.5 - 5.6 VR
Product Expert

Re: Canon Paper for B&W Portraits

H Tinman,

It really dpends on the effect you are looking for.  If y ou are looking for a picture that would resemble a glossy film reproduction from a film camera, i would recommend one of our glossy papers such as the Photo Paper Platinum, or for less of a glossy shine, Photo Paper Semi-Gloss.  But if you don't want the glossy effect, Canon Premium Matte would be recommended.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Frequent Contributor

Karl:

Thanks for your reply, what outcome will the Pro-100’s “dye ink” have on Canon Matte paper?

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Hi Tinman,

The dye based inks should still work correctly on the Matte Photo Paper. Dyes have a better color gamut and work well with glossy paper. They can also look very good with matte paper. It's strictly the lack of archival stability that stops people from using dye based printers normally.

Frequent Contributor

Devin:

Thanks for the response. I will give the Canon Matte paper a try.