cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMYK Question

pjglad
Enthusiast

I have a Canon Pro-1000. I use Photoshop to print and my color profile is RGB. I print mostly on Red River Satin paper. Should I convert my color profile to CMYK prior to printing? FYI, the printer is fairly new and I am quite pleased with the colors from the RGB profile. I did some google searches regarding this subject and I'm a little confused. Thanks in advance for your help.

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Do not convert. The printer is an RGB input device. The driver handles the conversion to ink deposition.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for responding. So when is CMKY appropriate? I've done goolge searches but this is confusing. Most searches suggest convert to CMKY...

CMYK workflows (start to finish) are typically just for printed materials such as product packaging, user manuals, etc.  For photos, use RGB workflows (sRGB, AdobeRGB, etc.) as noted above.   So basically for photo capture and editing, you're in RGB.  Sending to the printer (also as noted above) will do the final CMYK conversion.   If you do any proofing (e.g. in Lightroom), that should give you an idea of what the result will look like on the selected paper choice.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks!

Announcements