cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Settings for Canon Pro-1000?

RichPate
Enthusiast

Just unboxed a new Pro-1000 and now in the process of setting up.

I have read posts and reviews about the Pro-1000 using a lot of ink due to the auto-maintenance routines it runs. Some settings are user adjustable, but then there is the risk of nozzle clogging if not routinely cleaned.

Anyone have experience with running a Pro-1000 w. settings to conserve ink, yet w/o being plagued w. ink clogs? Any suggestions for "best practices"? Thanks.

32 REPLIES 32

Now I know what happened to my 3880. And now I'm a Canon user too.

Hey Dlob,

I decided to write Tech Support w. the questions I have concerning best settings for my workflow. I received a quick response with the following answers (in italic below ea. question):

First came the disclaimer:

I always hesitate when asked for advice on workflow, as it can be highly personal and idiosyncratic. I can offer some opinions, but "best" will necessarily be a bit subjective.

1. Is it best to make one print at a time, as needed, or to wait and run a batch of prints at the end of the week? Are certain cleaning routines run per print or per printing session?

Ans: Based on your usage, I would group my printing as much as possible. This should maintain consistent quality across all prints. Automatic cleanings are typically run after a period of disuse, rather than per printing.

2. Is it best to set "Auto Power" ON or OFF; and if ON, is 240 minutes OK?

Ans: The Auto Power option is designed to conserve electricity, and you can avoid the whole question by turning the printer on when you need it and off when you're done. The self-test performed on power-up should eliminate the need for an automatic cleaning cycle.

3. Is it best to set "Ink Maintenance (tank installed)" to ON, that apparently shakes the ink tanks on a regular basis? Does this process use ink? And what does "(tank installed)" mean? Ink tank, maintenance tank?

Ans: Turning the printer on only when necessary will also agitate the ink cartridges. If you're printing once a week or so, not much settling will occur.

4. Is it best to Enable/Disable "Auto Nozzle Check"? If set ON, how often is a nozzle check done?

Ans: I would only enable the Auto Nozzle check if you start seeing variations in print quality, ...

5. What is "Nozzle Check Error Display"? Displayed how and where?

Ans: ...and the check results appear on the printer display.

6. What is the best frequency for "System Cleaning Frequency"? The manual describes this as "To maintain print quality, we recommend you select 'Short' if you use the printer at a higher place." I'm at an elevation of 6500' so is this considered high?

Ans: Like cooking, "high altitude" starts around 3000' of elevation, although that can vary by location. New Mexico tends to be pretty dry, so I would keep the System Cleaning interval at "Short."

So it sounds like the suggestions I got may differ from what you received. It's difficult to determine if different steps actually end up having the same results -- like maybe leaving the printer ON and auto shut-off to "NEVER" results in a "stand-by mode" that is actually like turning the printer off and only ON when needed.

Unlike w. the Epson 3880 where we knew what was going on mechanically in the printer when it was turned off or left on, we don't know what the Pro-1000 is doing mechanically. That would help in figuring out a "best practice" for a particular printing workflow. 

So, I'm still not sure what settings are best. What do you think? Thanks.

Is there a way to change the agitation settings?

Agitation seems to be pre-set and automatic. I say "seems" because there is so little information available on exactly what the PRO-1000 does when it's prepping to print. It makes all kinds of strange noises over several minutes. Much about the PRO-1000 is still a mystery, even though it's been well over a year since introduction.

You may have better luck than I did in calling Canon Tech support and asking them. Their responses are usually about as vague as the the user's manual. Good luck.

Dlob
Contributor
Thanks for sharing RichPate: Actually, this is very helpful for me, in that I feel better about shutting off the printer between uses. We still don’t know which wil conserve more ink- so far, with set up , printing 3 letter sized prints and reboot after a firmware update, I have an alert for a maintenance cart, photo Black and gray...

Denchamber
Contributor

Good discussion - and Rich, thanks for starting it.   Here's my story.

I'm a Pro-1000 lover.  It has restored my faith in doing my own printing - which I gave up for several years due to clogged print heads on Epson printers.   I'm in the dry Albuquerque climate at 5,000 feet.

That said, the 1000 does clog from time to time and I'm OK with the frequency.   Over a period of two years and probably 250 large sheets of mostly matt paper and canvases, I've probably ruiined 10 sheets from clogging.   I print sporatically sometimes going a month or more and then print a lot of sheets.   I leave the printer "on" based on Canon's recommendation.  I can't remember if I have the auto agitation on.

I've found (consistent with a recommendaion from a response to one of my earlier posts on this forum) that doint a nozzle check is of almost no benefit.   I used to do that when I'd had a long lag between uses.   It would show everything to be fine and then I'd have a clog.   What I do now is simply print the page.   If I have a clogged head I do the cleaning routine, and thankfully the utility lets me focus just on the group of head where the clog is happening.   And it is always black or one of the blacks.   No one has ever been able to explain why it's always the blacks, but it was the same with my Epson printers.   I would love for someone to come up with a reason for that.

One other comment - the manual sheet feeding is a dream compared to my Epsons.   I have never had a single feeding issue until trying to use the Breathing Color canvas, which is too limp to feed (at least for the large 17x22 size).   The Canon canvas works perfectly although I prefer the texture of the Breathing Color canvas.

Thanks Denchamber, your input greately contributes to the on-going search to solve the mystery of "best practices" for the Pro-1000. Even Canon tech support seems to be trying to figure this out, since we are getting a variety of different suggestions. FYI, I'm in Silver City, New Mexico, so I work in the same dry conditions as you.

Questions for you:

1. When you say that you have experienced a few clogs, how did you remedy that -- regular cleaning, deep cleaning, dynamite??

2. Since you leave the printer set to "ON", does the front LED power light stay on, or does it go out?

3. You say nozzle check is of almost no benefit. Do you mean AUTO NOZZLE CHECK turned ON or do you mean actually printing the nozzle check "test page"? When you say you simply print the page, do you mean the nozzle check test page, or print an actual image hoping there is no clogged nozzle, and if there is, then you do a cleaning?

My guess of why black inks clog more is perhaps there is more pigment particles in the black ink in order to achieve maximum Dmax. Anyone else have an idea?

Also, how many maintenance carts did you use on your first set of inks? And then how many on your second set?

I print mostly matte papers too. Never heard of Breathing Color canvas. Do you like it better than Canon's new Fine Art Matte? Thanks.

Glad to hear you're in Silver City Rich - I have good friends there and love the town.

When I have a clog (as evidenced by the printing an actual page, not the nozzle check) I run the head cleaning routine from the Canon software and specify which group so that I don't waste much ink.   It seems to always do the trick.  I don't bother printing a nozzle page after doing the cleaning.

Yes the LED power light is always on for me.

As for nozzle check I do the actual test page print.   And yes, when it would show a problem I would do the nozzle cleaning.   Or I used to, until I decided it wasn't helping me.   I'm not aware of the Auto Nozzle Check but I might check into that.

Good point re the black ink clogging!

I am guessing I used two maintenance cartidges for the first of inks - of course the first set of inks goes faster.   Probably two to three per set after that.

I have used a lot of the Canon Fine Art Matte and like it.   I also use Epson Hot Press Bright and I like it although even with the printer profile for it I have to reduce saturation of the warm colors.   

Thanks Rich.   

Thanks. I have been thinking about trying Epson Hot Press Bright (and maybe their Legacy Fiber). Did you have a custom ICC profile done for the Pro-1000, or did you use Epson's profile for their 3880 printer, or...? Thanks.

Good question Rich.   I just used the Epson profile and that is perhaps the problem.   Since I like the paper so well I should probably get a "real" profile.

BTW I posted separately a rant about the ink level gauges on the 1000 which are no better or worse than other printers I've used.

Do you know George and Melinda Austin in Silver City (I assume you are a photographer)?

Announcements