cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA TR4522 keeps disconnecting from wireless.

zenfnp
Contributor

hello,

I am at the end of my rope here and I guess my free support has expired. I'm not willing to spend a cent to get more bad advice on my printer.

I purchased my TR4522 over a year ago. since that time I have made MULTIPLE telephone support calls for the same issue. 

the issue is that each time I go to try to use the printer/scanner etc, it's offline. Then I have to delete it from my computer and often have problems reinstalling. Yesterday it took me over half an hour to reinstall, worked fine then today its offline again. 

on my last support call I was told to follow up with my laptop manufacturer (Lenovo) who wasn't helpful. 

I have 2 laptops, a HP and a newer Lenovo, and both run Windows 10.

this is UNACCEPTABLE. I have NEVER had these issues with ANY other printer. I have needed it sporadically, but now I am needing to use it more, as I am working on several projects and working from home... and its just a paperweight.

I might add that my iphone will print fine, but I can't scan anything from it of course.

Any ideas before this piece of junk goes to the trash heap? If I end up doing that I will not be replacing with another Canon device. 

I'm sorry for the tone here but I'm extremely frustrated with the whole situation and just feel that I haven't been supported.

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

From your description I can tell what the problem likely is.

The IP address of your printer is changing.

I won't bore you with the how or why.  Please try the following.

On your router, assign the printer a static IP address.  Depending on the model, this might be called "Static IP, or "Address Reservation" etc.

Restart the printer and verify it has the assigned IP.  Ways you can check:  PING the device from a command prompt.  View the list of attached devices on your router, or open a browser and enter the IP of the device there.  Its webserver should display.

Once verfied, uninstall the printer.  Restart your machine.  Now re-install the printer.  Chances are this will solve the problem for you.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

thank you for that information, but I don't have a clue how to do this. 

would I need to look up the router info online and maybe get instruction?

the router is rented from my ISP if that matters. 

I'm not completely computer illiterate, but this is way over my knowledge base and field of expertise.

Hi zenfnp,

You can also try keeping your printer on at all times so that the IP address does not change.

To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Make sure that your PIXMA TR4522 is powered on.

2.  Press the wrench and screwdriver button 1 time.

3.  Use the arrow keys to select ECO settings and press the OK button.

4.  Use the arrow keys to select EnergySaveSettings and press the OK button.

5.  Select Auto power off and then press the OK button.

6.  Select NEVER and press the OK button.

Also, please follow these steps:

1.  Press the wrench and screwdriver button 1 time.

2.  Use the arrow keys to select ECO settings and press the OK button.

3.  Use the arrow keys to select EnergySaveSettings and press the OK button.

4.  Use the arrow keys to select Auto power on and press the OK button.

5.  Use the arrow keys to select ON and press the OK button.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Yes, the printer is always on.

the respondent who said change IP address of printer may very well be correct but I don't know how to do this procedure.

I am very disappointed in Canon technical support because after multiple calls on the same issue, no one was ever able to solve the issue, but no one mentioned the IP address issue.

I am going to have to hire someone to help me do that procedure to see if that is a solution.

Just disappointed that after years of Canon loyalty with both cameras and printers, the support is just in name only. I suppose that is how most companies are these days. I'm very good at what I do for a living, which is NOT IT, and just like you all depend on people like me for my field of expertise, I depend on IT/support professionals for accurate answers.

Agreed. I wasted two hours just trying to figure out how to get into this forum. Canon support is non existent unless you are willing to pay the $19.99. Phone support should be free like its is with Apple. C'mon Canon, get with the program.

Your ISP should be able to walk you through the process of giving a device a static IP Address.

It involves setting aside an address (or a range of addresses) to be used for static-IP devices. It is common to do this for printers, or network file-servers. Then you would go into the printer's setup menu to network properties and change its address-acquisition method from DHCP to an address in the range you set aside on the router.

A printer that is always ON should not be losing its IP DHCP-assigned address at all, as it has a "lease" on that address in the router, which is continually renewed. But strange things do happen. I have a Pixma MG5420 inkjet that loses its network findability sometimes, even with a static address. I just  have to reboot the printer to have it come back online (it's a Wi-Fi-only device, which I hate. I would not buy another printer that does not have wired network connectiviity) On the other hand, my Color ImageClass MF8350 CDN laser printer, connected by ethernet cable, with a static IP, has NEVER gone offline. 

fjlkjlkj
Apprentice

Exact same problem. Exact same reaction to shadowsports' (appreciated) advice. I also leave the printer on, though I'm now going to try Patrick's steps. Thanks to all for the help. This is such a waste of time...

steven88269
Apprentice

I had the same problem and decided to share a quick and helpful way to remedy it partially. 

First, go to windows services - in your computer settings, go down to printer spool, and press start (it most likely will have stopped) - other potentials are restart and or resume. If the problem persists after you have restarted your printer spool, download and install canon wifi connection assistant and run it on your selected printer model. This should solve it (also turn off eco settings and auto-off, as why would anyone want their printer not to be ready for them).

Announcements