cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install Canon Color Imageclass mf731cdw printer software

hobbygirl1
Apprentice

I have a Canon Color ImageClass mf731Cdw printer. It is connected to my network wirelessly. It has a static IP address and has a reserved ip address on the router. When I try to install the driver software, it cannot be found. I tried searching by IP and it still cannot be found. I did install the printer via the windows "add a printer" wizard and Windows 10 found the printer, added a driver, and I am able to print. This leaves me without all the functionality of the printer. For instance, I cannot scan and I do not have a full dialog box with features when I print. Can someone help? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Is this a new issue?  I see you posted about the same model last August.  

Windows 10.  Printer is connected to your wireless network and is assigned a static IP.  Note: You don't have to assign a static IP on the printer and reserve an IP on the router.  One or the other will suffice as long as you are consistent.

Are you running a 3rd party antivirus solution?  This can interfere with communication.

Also, please tell us about your wireless network.  Is the router dual or triband?  Are you using the same SSID name for all broadcasts?  The printer can only connect to a 2.4Ghz broadcast.  

What software package are you using for installation?

I recommend this one:

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAwODU5NjAz&cmp=ABR&lang=EN  

Please open Settings > Control Panel > Device and Printers

Find the Canon Printer and right-click on it, select remove device from the context menu.  Close the dialog

Now open Settings > Control Panel > Programs and Features.  If you see any Canon related software, uninstall it.

Restart your computer

Now, Start Menu > type "CMD" (no quotes and press enter)

At the command prompt type "ping" [printers IP address] then press enter

Example, printers IP is 192.168.1.99

C:\Users\admin>ping 192.168.1.99

Do you see replies?

Pinging 192.168.1.99 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.99: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 2ms

C:\Users\admin>

I'll wait for your feedback.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Hobbygirl1,

If the add a printer window can find the printer but, the driver install does not locate the printer, it will usually mean the printer has a good network connection. In that situation, I suggest disabling any firewall or anitvirus software running on the computer. Firewalls can block the printer from detecting the printer ports and anitvirus can disable services needed for detection. Once disabled, you can try reinstalling the drivers to see if the printer is detected. If it still can't be detected, you can try power cycling your router to see if the setup an find the printer. If those options fail, I would suggest contacting support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist with the driver install.

hobbygirl1
Apprentice

I was able to get a driver installed. Thanks for your help.

Announcements