cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to print from my iPadAir 4 or my iPhone to my MF743Cdw if I have no network?

SuziK
Apprentice

Hello!

I recently purchased imageClass MF743Cdw. I was under the impression that I could print to it using my iPadAir 4 or my iPhone even if I had no network. We have no wifi here . . . I just have data on my Apple devices. We will be able to get fiber wifi in a month or so, but in the meantime, is it possible to print with no network? 

At one point, I was able to print a couple of things off a jump drive, but for some reason I can’t now. 

Is there a way to physically connect my devices to the printer’s USB port to print? Do I need a certain type of cord besides a regular USB plug with my iPhone?

Thank you for any info you can provide. You can tell I’m not too savvy when it comes to understanding networks, etc.

Suzi

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

AirPrint requires your Apple devices and printer to be on the same WiFi network.  See Apple's Support Article for details.

When you connect your Apple devices to say a Mac via USB, the devices act as sort of a peripheral.  Same for a printer connected via USB to a computer.  So Apple devices connected to the printer would be like two peripherals connected to each other.  Thus, I don't believe that would work at all and I'd actually advise against doing that.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Ricky is correct.  The devices must be connected to a network.  Only other way is from a USB Stick.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

AirPrint requires your Apple devices and printer to be on the same WiFi network.  See Apple's Support Article for details.

When you connect your Apple devices to say a Mac via USB, the devices act as sort of a peripheral.  Same for a printer connected via USB to a computer.  So Apple devices connected to the printer would be like two peripherals connected to each other.  Thus, I don't believe that would work at all and I'd actually advise against doing that.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Ricky is correct.  The devices must be connected to a network.  Only other way is from a USB Stick.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

SuziK
Apprentice

Thank you, guys, for your expertise! That will save me from wasting more time trying to do what wouldn’t work! 🙂

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements