cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Disabling "Less Secure Apps"

clason
Apprentice

On May 30, 2022 Google will disable the 'less secure apps' feature for its Gmail users. For many owners of Canon printers and scanners, this feature is crucial to using email to scan documents. Does anyone have a solution for using Gmail SMTP Relay to email documents from a Canon printer scanner that will work after May 30, 2022?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Have you considered using an App Password?  Best practice, if you don't have 2FA enabled on ALL of your accounts, you should.

Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help

You didn't mention what model printer you have.  You might want to check for a FW update if available.  This could add support, but I have no idea what Canon ultimately plans to do about this with its current lineup of  personal/professiona printers.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Have you considered using an App Password?  Best practice, if you don't have 2FA enabled on ALL of your accounts, you should.

Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help

You didn't mention what model printer you have.  You might want to check for a FW update if available.  This could add support, but I have no idea what Canon ultimately plans to do about this with its current lineup of  personal/professiona printers.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Ah thanks. I didn't realize that would work around the less secure apps situation. I believe that solved it. Appreciate the tip!

I have the same problem with a Canon MF743Cdw. I am trying to use a gmail account for the scan and email feature. I use my phone to sign into Google, so the app password feature is not available to me.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The App Password feature is available regardless of what authentication method you use to sign into Google.  I use my Pixel6 to authenticate as well.  

Select Account > Security > App Passwords

shadowsports_0-1656769565511.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

This is the message I am getting, which prevents me from using 2F:

scottb93_0-1656780078166.png

Is there another work around for using a gmail account? 

Greetings,

Your message above indicates you are using a phone number instead of an email address on your google account.  This would keep you from creating an App Password. 

Enable 2FA:

Use your gmail address for log in.  You will have several options for 2nd factors)

Android device - Google sends push notifications directly to your device, no additional configuration is required.

SMS Text - Google will send SMS Text message to your phone, you supply the number where you want txt messages sent

Google Authenticator - Free download from the Play Store.  Benefit of this app...  It can be used for a variety of other accounts.  

Whichever you decide on, you'll need to enable 2FA in order to use App Passwords. 

The log in experience will still be seamless "Approve" or "Deny".  It was me, or it wasn't me.

Cheers!   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

After changing to the 2FA that you suggested, I was able to update the Canon password to my gmail and it worked.  Many thanks.

JovanHampton
Apprentice

Thanks for bringing this to attention. The change Google's making can indeed affect how some devices, including Canon printers and scanners, interact with Gmail. To maintain functionality, you might want to consider using an App Password. It's a secure way to grant access without compromising your main account. Speaking of making things easier, have you ever considered exploring games that pay real money? They can be a fun and potentially lucrative way to spend your time. If you're interested, check out this article on joywallet.com for some recommendations and tips on getting started.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks for the feedback.  Glad it helped you.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements