cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MX492 Keeps Dropping the Network

Poatka
Apprentice

I have recently purchased and installed a Canon MX492. It is connected wirelessly and once set up prints without any issues.

However each time I try to print it appears to have gone to sleep and some how has disconnected from the network. I then have to turn it on reinstall and reconnect the printer and only then will my computer be able to find the printer and print, which is a real pain in the neck. All of my dreams of easy wireless printing have been blown with this printer because each time I need to print I have to go through the whole set-up and installation process over and over again. 

There are no issues with the network, the connection or the IP address. 

Please help.

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Poatka wrote:

...over and over again. 

There are no issues with the network, the connection or the IP address

Please help.

Greetings,

Can’t say with certainty what the issue is as all we know is the model of your printer and that you are connecting it wirelessly to your network.

While the problem might be on the computer with the printers software, its more likely a configuration issue with the network.

I'll assume you are using DHCP on your network. When a device requests a connection, your router assign’s it with an IP address. Then the printer goes to sleep. After a while, the router doesn’t see the printer and reclaims the “leased” IP assigned earlier. When the printer “wakes up”, it doesn’t have or get the same IP it was assigned when it was set up or before it went to sleep. Now printing fails.

You can easily test this. Note its IP after setup. Then check it again after it wakes up and won’t print. If you are receiving an error message, you can include it in your reply.

In any event, you might want to assign a static IP to the printer using its MAC address. This way your router will always give it the same IP address regardless of when it last connected to the network. This eliminates communication issues with devices that frequently come and go, or sleep and wake.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Shadow sports - You are correct, the network seems to be assigning a new IP every time I have to reconnect the device. 

Unfortunately I'm not sure how to assign a static IP, that gets a little beyond my technical abilities and also what is outlined in the setup instructions. 

We have an apple only household and I use an iPad to connect to the printer, not sure if that makes things more difficult...

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Greetings,

Does Apple only household mean airport extreme?

Most wireless routers whether purchased retail or supplied by your ISP include the ability to reserve an IP address by a devices MAC address.  Some routers call this "Address Reservation". 

(Canon software) The IJ networking utility is suppose to handle this portion of the communication (resolution) when jobs are sent to a network connected printer.  However, this tool is not installed on an iPAD.  Its part of the install for windows or MAC.

Since that is the case, setting a static IP, or reseving a IP Address for the printer will solve the problem you are having, printing from your iPAD.  The printer will always get the same IP address regarless of when it was last used, went to sleep or was turned off and then back on.

If you tell us the brand and model of your wirelss router, I mightt be able to find you a tutorial that will walk you through the steps.  It truely takes 5 mins.  Now, if its something you are absolutely uncomfortable with, I would recommend enlisitng the help of a friend or professional.  It does involve logging into the routers admin console.  I suspect however, you did this when you set up the wireless in the first place.  Or maybe it was done for you?  In any event, you can let us know the brand/model if you want to try.   

Have a look at my replies here. This will give you a general idea and premise behind what assigning static IPs or Reserving an IP address does for devices on your internal network.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements