cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is error 5100 for multifunction printeers and how do you fix it?

WarrenSmith
Apprentice

what is error 5100 for multifunction printeers and how do you fix it?

92 REPLIES 92

MrBruce
Apprentice

Here is the deal with my MX360 4 in 1 printer, no one mentioned that the encoder film has to go into a sensor on the back side of the ink cartridge carrier, which is hidden from view, on my printer which started out with a 5100 error, continued to exhibit this error because the film was no longer INSIDE the sensor, it was riding the backside of it causing the 5100 error to continue. I only found this out after I angerly destroyed the whole printer over riping a ribbon wire that went to the ink carriage trying to figure out why the error never went away. I also took it apart because one of the hoses from the ink absorber had come off and was rapped up inside the pump! Then one of the hoses never reached the same area as the other with no clue as to why one hose was way shorter than the other hose not reaching its intended area as the other one was situated. See my image below showing the sensor with the encoder film where it should be, you are looking at the back side of the board that is behind your ink cartridges. This sensor faces the back side of your printer. Make sure that film is inside that sensor slot!!! It is very difficult to see where it goes without taking the carriage out of the printer rail entirely! That film in my photo is the one you are told to wipe with a clean rag. I wasted a good printer over the lack of this information being available on line or in service manuals! It's too late now for my MX360, its trashed, but hopefully I can save other people the heartache! Make sure you focus on that area if cleaning that strip does not clear that 5100 error, it may not be just a paper jam or paper obstruction.

Bruce.

IMG_20180218_101149.jpg

tg14
Apprentice

Hi i have an MX535 printer and is saying that it has a 5100 support code, are there any suggestions on how to rix the issue?

Hi please see my image posted above your post showing the sensor film.

Check that the film shown in my photo is clean of ink residue. Sometimes ink gets on that film and the sensor gets a misread.

Also, is there any strange noises from within the printer when it attempts to execute a print job?

The senor film in question, is visible when the ink cartridge carrier is visible when opening the access panel to change the ink cartridges, it is behing the carriage from your visual view point, you can carefully, manually move the carriage back and forth to gain access to the film. Use either warm soapy water or isopropyl alcohol 91% on a soft rag, being carefull not to get excess water in the printer and carefully wipe back and forth across the film. The hardest area to get to, is the ink cartridge resting area, but, with carefull reaching, you can clean that area of the film. That film runs across the width of the printer inside that ink cartridge carriage area, it is often only 1/4 inch in in height.

Power up the printer and hopefully once it does a self test, it will proceed with a new print job.

Best of luck

Bruce.

Thank you for the response i shall try it out.

davidperelli
Apprentice

Discovered Correct Error 5100 Fix !

(1) Open Cartridge door, Wait for Cartridge Cradle to Park, Unplug Printer.

(2) With a Flashlight look in the Doors Center where Cartridge Cradle Belt is. Belt is Horizontal going from Left to Right.

You will see a 1/8 Inch Wide Clear Plastic Ribbion thats Horizontal goinig from Left to Right by Center of Cradle Belt.

This Clear Plastic Ribbion has Tiny Vertical Gold Lines Printed on it that can be seen with a Flashlight.

These Tiny Vertical Gold Lines in Clear Plastic Ribbion tell the Printer Program the Position of Cartridge Heads.

(3) Inspect the Clear Plastic Ribbion for any Grease and Dirt that probably got transfered Transferred from Cradle Slide.

Whenever this Cartridge Door is Open people sticking there fingers inside can Accidentally Transfer Grease onto the

Clear Plastic Ribbion by touching the Greased Cradle Slide on the Botton that is Horizontal going from Left to Right.

(4) When Grease and Dirt gets on the Clear Plastic Ribbion the Program Can Not Tell where the Printer Heads are.

At Location where Grease and Dirt is the Printer Head will not Print any Ink and a Blank Spot will appear on Print.

The Blank Spot will appear in the same place throughout the Printed Page from Top to Bottom.

After Printing and Heads Park the ERROR 5100 will appear on Screen. The Program will sense the

Head Posision Read Error because Requested Dots to be Printed don't Print at Location of Grease or Dirt on Ribbion.

(5) The Fix Is; Simply Clean the Clear Plastic Ribbion with Alcohol and Q-tips untill Ribbion is Completely Clean !

Power Unit On and Print Test Page.

I read these Forums. Everyone thinks Error 5100 is Damaged Print Head. Yes thats the Definition. I tried all Forum stuff.

Nothing there worked. I discovered Grease on Clear Plastic Ribbion. Cleaned it. 5100 Error Is Gone !

saintsev89
Apprentice

what is support code 5100 for MG2200 and how do you fix it?

Christopher007
Apprentice
I had this problem. Nothing seems to be stuck in the machine. It is printer MG5750. How can I reset it please?

SAAB87
Apprentice
PULL THE PRINT HEAD OUT AND WASH IT IN HOT WATER. GET ALL THE OLD INK OUT. IT WORKED FOR ME FOR ABOUT THREE MONTHS BEFORE I HAD TO DO IT AGAIN. MP600

sjbram
Apprentice

Ihave a canon MX310. I JUST PUT REPLACEMENT CARTRIDGES in my printer. The Printer has a flashing yellow alarm and a "Checck Printer 5100" error message. There is no paper jam. The printer carriage goes to the left and then reeturns to the right and stops with a double click sound, when I power it on. It will not stay in the position where I can remove the cartridges. Help 

Jerryl49
Apprentice
I also have this error for printer mp460
Announcements