cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setup/installation of TS9520

WendyH
Contributor

I started doing the setup online and saw that a bunch of picture and photo tools was going to come with the download, so I quickly cancelled it and went over to your Drivers page to see if I could get the lean-and-mean driver-only download.

I found it but it is kinda odd.  The TS9500 series MP Drivers Ver.1.02, which seems to be straight driver, is 5 times larger than "tS9500 series Full Driver & Software Package".    Doesn't make sense.    Please clarify.

In the future it would be better if your setup software offered installation choices like most software does (custom or default).  Its a shame I have to fetch it myself rather than just click a radio button on a screen to avoid software not of interest..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So nice that Canon moderators strive to help their customers with support here in their "SUPPORT" forums!!!   </end-sarcasm>

Further exploration shows that there is scanner software in my system from original driver download.   No shortcuts or startup menu items were added though, so I had to be clever to find it.  I scanned from the printer to the PC and then pinned the resultant program that got opened to the PC taskbar for future use.   I have another functioning Canon installed on my PC  so the PC ended up with about 5-6 similar but different utility programs.   Very confusing which is which.  I even looked for ..\Canon]...\*.EXE files dated the date of driver download, but didn't get a good hit on the ones I tried.

Hopefully, this is the last of startup troubles.  The machine seems fine so far.  a little slow.  a little noisy.  a little big, but seems like a bunch of good features that I will utilize. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I am like you in this regard, but I don't mind visiting a manufacturer's product page to get the latest drivers (and) only the ones I need from their support portal.   

You may want to provide this feedback directly to Canon.  While the forums are moderated, your suggestion might not make it to the parties which detrmine this behavior. 

Some but not all of Canon's software supports the "Custom" install feature.  I understand how you feel though.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

WendyH
Contributor

further, turns out the driver download does not include the scanner.  So it looks like I'm going to have to get the whole big package anyhow with all the dumb photo tools I don't need/want.    *$&@!Y$ 

So nice that Canon moderators strive to help their customers with support here in their "SUPPORT" forums!!!   </end-sarcasm>

Further exploration shows that there is scanner software in my system from original driver download.   No shortcuts or startup menu items were added though, so I had to be clever to find it.  I scanned from the printer to the PC and then pinned the resultant program that got opened to the PC taskbar for future use.   I have another functioning Canon installed on my PC  so the PC ended up with about 5-6 similar but different utility programs.   Very confusing which is which.  I even looked for ..\Canon]...\*.EXE files dated the date of driver download, but didn't get a good hit on the ones I tried.

Hopefully, this is the last of startup troubles.  The machine seems fine so far.  a little slow.  a little noisy.  a little big, but seems like a bunch of good features that I will utilize. 

Hi WendyH,

The MP Drivers contain the printer driver, the scanner driver and the IJ Scan Utility.

The Full Driver and Software Package is an installer, which once executed, will download the drivers and IJ Scan Utility and then give you the option of installing the other software for use with your PIXMA TS9520.

This is why the MP Drivers is a larger file.

The scanning software, the IJ Scan Utility, can be found by clicking the Windows Start button and then clicking the Canon Utilities folder in the Windows Start menu.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

So you are saying the "driver-only" file actually includes everything without a front-end to select installation choices?  What a great design (not).

There is no Canon utilities folder in the Windows Start Menu.  There is a Blue circle icon shortcut which points to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\Canon IJ Network Tool\CNMNPUT.EXE"

That executable points to a file dated 2012, which is the date of the original installation of my MG5220.  I recently had to uninstall the original drivers and update to the 2015 drivers, but apparently those old pieces were not deleted as part of the uninstall process.

As far as the new printer/scanner:

If I navigate to "All Programs",  I get 3 Canon folders:

- Canon IJ Network Utilities

- Canon MG5200 Series

- Canon Utilities

If I expand them all, this is what I see:

2020-01-22 16.40.32.jpg

Really?   What a mess!  I don't have time to go through all those.    I like my method better of just grabbing the program that opened when I did Scan From Printer to Computer.   

Announcements