cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scans are pdf . want jpg

SCW
Apprentice

I am scanning several images together against a background. They automatically come up as pdf files. I want a jpeg file. I have done several of these kinds of composites and at first they were jpegs but now they are all pdf files. Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing. Thanks for any help.

25 REPLIES 25

Jason
Whiz

Hi!

To ensure the most accurate information is provided, we will need to know the model of the scanner you are using, the version of Windows or Mac in use, and the software you are using to scan.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Canon MX922... using software that came with printer... windows 7. Thanks.

I have a TR850 and would like instructions on how to change how the image is being saved both on the canon machine itself, with IJ  scan utility and Windows 10 if possible.  

My scanner used to interpret the images accurately, meaning, a photo was saved as  photo, as a jpg and opened in photo viewer, where I could then crop it and save where I wanted on my computer. 

Note: I scan images by placing the paper in the scanner and pressing scan on the machine. - I do not pull up the IJ scan utility program on my compuyter to proceed with scanning, unless the scan button on my printer TR850 doesn't work. 

Now, almost all images are being saved as pdf and as such I cannot crop the image before saving.  My printer/scanner used to interpret images correctly (photo or document), would save as pdf or jpg and as such the appropriate program would open (photo viewer or adobe) up on my computer when I went to save the document/image scanned.  

I have spent significant time searching for solutions and have come up empty.

I would appreciate any insight or possible solutions with details and instructions on how to

1) have my images saved as a jpg when using using the buttons on the machine itself;

2) have images open with photo viewer on my computer when the printer/scanner has communicated with my computer that the scan is complete and I open the image on my computer; (Note: I'm not sure that setting my default program to Photo Viewer works for this problem);

3) be able to save documents as pdf or word.

Canon Garden Viewer does not allow for me to crop the picture and I am not sure if all my images are saved there that I scan. I do not know if my scanned images are being saved in multiple locations - my computer and Canon Garden Viewer - and could use insight on how to solve this as well. 

Boudica1, I have a TS8150 and W8.1. When scanning, 'save to computer' I now always scan as 'photo', rather than Doc or Autoscan, which are the 3 choices my 8150 offers on its screen.  Doc puts them as a jpg into Documents with an 'IMG_0000 number which never shows up on the thumbprint search, but does if you do "Search jpg" along with every other jpg in there!  Auto Scan seems to put everything into 'MP Navigator EX' as a PDF, but Photo always loads them into 'MP Navigator EX' as a .jpg.  I find scanning from the computer cumbersome as the 3 computers are in different rooms to the scanner/printer Hope this helps you.

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

To scan JPEG images with the IJ Scan Utility, the Photo option is the default way to scan JPEG's.  You can also change the save settings by going in to the Settings menu of the program.  This will allow you to change the save options for the different functions in the program.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I had the same problem with my TS3160, using PC and Windows 10. With the help manual file and the above answer from Canon  I 'sort of' fixed it using the Custom scan setting in the IJ Scan Utility, not the 'save' function that only gives .pdf as you say.  The Custom setting pre-sets the data format as document or picture. The setting is a default but has several options. Hope that works for your model.

I have the same problem.  Will try your suggestion.  Thank you.

Hi,

Thank you for your inquiry, and welcome to the Canon Forums.

We appreciate your participation, however, for the community to best assist you can you provide us with the following information: 

1. Operating System of the computer?
  2. Model of printer?

If you are in the USA and need immediate assistance please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) and we will be happy to help! If you live outside the United States, to go: https://global.canon and select your country or region for your support needs.

Thank you for replying.

I am not in the US so will use other site if needed.

My printer is TS3160 and I am using Windows 10.

Thanks

Announcements