cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX330 scanner wont work without all printer cartridges installed

handpa
Apprentice

I have a MX330.  Works great otherwise but if I run out of colour ink or remove an ink cartridge it wont scan.  I'm SCANNING.  why does this affect scanning.  It shouldn't. 

3 REPLIES 3

Ramona
Authority

Hi handpa,

The printer requires that both ink cartridges be installed in the printer in order to scan, even if they are low or out of ink.  In addition, when an error condition is present on the printer (such as being out of ink), other functions of the unit will not be able to be performed until that issue is addressed.  

If you still have the ink cartridges for the printer, you will want to put them back in the printer, even if they are empty.  You can then disable the ink level detection function of the printer so you can continue to scan under a low/out of ink condition.  To do this, please press and hold down the STOP/RESET or RESUME/CANCEL button on the printer for at least 7 seconds, then release it.  If successful, you should be able to scan until you are able to replace the low/out of ink cartridges.  Please note, you will need to do this procedure for each ink cartridge that is low or out of ink.

Once the low/out of ink cartridges are replaced with Canon genuine ink cartridges, the ink level detection function of the printer will be re-enabled.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

bematthe
Contributor

I have a similar issue except that
1. Both ink cartridges are brand new. I have tried re-installing them and wiping off the sensor.
and
2. The stop/reset button doesn't work work. I get the error noise when I press it and nothing happens when I hold it down.

Danny

Thanks for being active in our community! We're happy to share that it's possible to scan with an empty ink tank or cartridge. To start scanning, follow the instructions at this link.

Announcements