cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA G7020 "Manual Duplex" Scanning?

No_T
Apprentice

Hi All,

Brand new G7020 in place and playing with it to learn how to use the features.  What on earth is the "manual duplex" mode I can select in the IJ Scan Utility Light software?  Does this mean that I put my stack in the ADF facing up, and then turn it over and scan again to complete the process?  Since this places the last page on top after flipping, there must be a built-in correction to sort the pages properly?  Really disappointed that there is no auto-duplex scanning (some of my older Canon printers were excellent at this feature that seems to be GONE in IJ printers now), so need to figure this out.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No_T
Apprentice

I just found this set of detailed instructions for another printer: 

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART171047

This will make it MUCH simpler to scan a stack of duplex documents if it works the same on the 7020!

If it works, I will mark this comment as the solution.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Manual duplex means you have to manually feed the two-sided document, one side, then the other during the scan operation to capture both sides of the page. 

Automatic duplex scanning is not gone, its still alive and well.  Unfortunately, not on your G7020 which I'm surprised as well since its currently the flagship in the MegaTank line.  Must be some type of design limitation.  (Manual 2-Sided Scan)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

No_T
Apprentice
Thanks for the comment. So you’re implying that this would be done one sheet at a time, yes? Four two-sided sheets equals eight separate single sheet feeds, no stacking in ADF?

No_T
Apprentice

I just found this set of detailed instructions for another printer: 

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART171047

This will make it MUCH simpler to scan a stack of duplex documents if it works the same on the 7020!

If it works, I will mark this comment as the solution.

I looked up your recommended unit for substituting.  If it did duplex scanning before, then it doesn't anymore.  I wish this wasn't such a hard-to-find feature.

So how does the manual duplex scanning work when your document has more than two pages?  I can find no reference to multi page manual duplex scanning in any Canon support articles or manuals.

Can you place a 10 page 2-sided document (5 sheets of paper) in the ADF have it scan the front of the 5 pages, reload it to then scan the back of the 5 pages and in the end have a PDF with all 10 pages in the correct order?  If so, I can live with this.  However, if it instead requires each of the 5 pages to be individually scanned front and back to acheive a 10 page PDF in correct order then I may look for an auto deplex scanning model.

Unfortunately, since copying is actually initiated with a scan, so two sided COPYING is also not supported. Since there were so many conflicting reports, I actually called before buying. 

Asked the wrong question: "will this unit do automatic two sided printing?" "Certainly it does" was the reply.  No mention of copying or scanning. What a waste of money! 

This solution works also for the canon in Europe the ts7450a. Just place up to 35 pages manuel adf. After scanning the 35 pages the scanning stops and asks to turn the pages and scan the other side of the 35 pages. After this process, the pdf just gives you the complete pages in order. If anyone need a video, please reply 

Darklunaria
Apprentice

I completely agree that it's crazy to pay so much for a printer and not have it be capable of duplex scanning.  It's very disappointing.  Having looked at the solution given, that printer does not perform duplex scanning either.  Hopefully, it's something that can be fixed with a software update.

Darklunaria
Apprentice
The way duplex manual scanning works is by you scanning one side and then manually flipping it over to scan the other side. It doesn't matter if you use the ADF or flatbed, it's the same for both.

You could do what you say, but you wouldn't be able to rearrange the order of the pages for it to look right. The scanning program is extremely basic, aka circa 1995. From the perspective of someone that handles a lot of paperwork, I honestly wouldn't bother with this unit. The G7020 seems to be designed for almost exclusively printing pictures. As an office machine, I would look elsewhere.

FYI, duplex scanning is the "blue unicorn" of features. It's near impossible to find because the vast majority of printers don't have it. I don't know why industry hadn't figured it out yet, but I thought I should give you fair warning. Good luck and reply here if you find it because I'm still looking.
Announcements