cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG2220 won't detect new full print cartridge

jewelsa
Apprentice

I replaced both the color (241) and black (240XL) ink cartriges in my pixma mg2220. Now it shows full color ink, and low black ink still. I have tried reinstalling the black twice, but it still shows low. It does seem to print ok though. Ideas?

35 REPLIES 35

I love my Canon MG2220 printer and haven't had a problem till now.  I've tried everything but it will still not register the new black ink cartiridge.  It started when I tried to replace the cartridge to early.  Replaced with the old one and allowed it to completely run out before replacing with the new one but printer will still not recognize the new black cartridge.  Replaced the color with no prob. Have cleaned black ink header with cotton swab, taken out both cartridges, turned off printer and restarted, took out both & unplugged printer, turned it back on & reentered cartridges and I've even hit and held the STOP/RESTART button for 10 seconds.  NOTHING!!!!     What it going ON!

@Patrick wrote:

Hi Marzaly,

This message may be resolved by resetting the unit. Please follow these steps:

1. With PIXMA MG2220 powered on, open the cover. The ink will move to the replacement position.

2. Lower the cartridge locking lever on the black ink cartridge.

3. Slide the cartridge out of the holder towards you.

4. Lower the cartridge locking lever on the color ink cartridge.

5. Slide the cartridge out of the holder towards you.

6. Once both cartridges are removed, unplug the power to the printer (without turning it off).

7. Reconnect the power cord.

8. Turn your PIXMA MG2220 on.

9. Open the cover. The carriage that holds the ink will move to the left hand side.

10. Make sure the orange cap is off of the bottom of the black cartridge.

11. Slide the black cartridge into the printer.

12. Lift the cartridge locking lever up, a clicking noise should be heard.

13. Make sure the orange cap is off of the bottom of the color cartridge.

14. Slide the color cartridge into the printer.

15. Lift the cartridge locking lever, a clicking noise should be heard.

Close the cover. The printer should make some noise for a few moments, and then return to standby.

If the message persists, to clear the low ink warning message, press and hold down the <STOP/RESET> button for ten seconds, and then release it. This will disable the ink detection until that cartridge has been replaced.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

I love my Canon MG2220 printer and haven't had a problem till now.  I've tried everything but it will still not register the new black ink cartiridge.  It started when I tried to replace the cartridge to early.  Replaced with the old one and allowed it to completely run out before replacing with the new one but printer will still not recognize the new black cartridge.  Replaced the color with no prob. Have cleaned black ink header with cotton swab, taken out both cartridges, turned off printer and restarted, took out both & unplugged printer, turned it back on & reentered cartridges and I've even hit and held the STOP/RESTART button for 10 seconds.  NOTHING!!!!     What it going ON!

Canon  TS9120

costco refilled tanks (gu=enuie Canon tanks) do not show correct ink level

following several procedures to correct did not help

i love this printer -- please help resolve this Canon shortcoming -- to seel more other their brand ink

joe

Btw this was happening to me. I've just tried connecting printer via USB and turning off wifi so print it direct and it worked... Not a permanent fix I guess but if you have a cable and need something printed this might work. 

Still have the same problem. None of the proposed solutions work ( l tried twice. Never again will l buy compatible canon ink cartriges  just to save a bit of money, IT'S NOT  WORTH THE HASSLE!  )   I even returned the first one but the second didn't work either and l just can't print because the machine tells me that the black cartridge is empty and must be replaced.    

However l am still open to suggestions if ANYONE has the answer.  Thanks in advance. Lisa

Tried this twice. Didn’t work

My Cannon MG3520 might be the biggest piece of garbage I have ever puchased from anyone. It has never worked right. Having to spend days trying to get new ink cartridges to work is totally insane. I will never puchase Cannon again.

Got to the unplug line (line 6) and now my printer wont turn on.  Went from bad to worse with this whole cartridge issue.

Hi, UserFriendly!

Thanks for posting.  Several Canon printer models have been mentioned in this conversation thus far.  So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, search our knowledge base or contact our US-based technical support team at http://canon.us/SupportCF

Thanks and have a great day!

I'm dismayed to see how many users are affected by this and the similar fault 'cartridge not recognised'. I'm in the UK and my Pixma MG3650 is 18 months old.  Although a perfectly good color cartridge was installed and in use the printer decided spontaneously to give this error for the color cartridge.  Needless to say the printer will now not accept a new Canon color cartridge.  What is really galling is that I cannot just print in BLACK while this fault remains.  Has anybody really managed to clear this?  

Announcements