cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG2220 won't detect new full print cartridge

jewelsa
Apprentice

I replaced both the color (241) and black (240XL) ink cartriges in my pixma mg2220. Now it shows full color ink, and low black ink still. I have tried reinstalling the black twice, but it still shows low. It does seem to print ok though. Ideas?

35 REPLIES 35

Ramona
Authority

Hi jewelsa,

This issue may occur if the ink cartridges are replaced prior to the ink being completely empty.  It is recommended to only replace the ink when it shows the ink is completely empty.  You can continue printing when the ink is low.  If you replace the ink too soon, it will not register the fact that a new ink has been installed.  You may continue to use the printer even though it's not indicating the ink cartridge is full.  When you get an error stating that the ink is empty, just take the ink cartridge out, turn the unit off, turn it back on, and place the ink cartridge back inside.  It should then update the ink levels accurately.  

Alternatively, if you have an ink cartridge that is actually empty, you may be able to put it in the printer so it recognizes the empty tank and provides the ink tank empty warning.  You would then replace it with the new ink cartridge and the printer should determine that it was replaced and provide a full ink level indication again.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This is not working for me. I've done it twice. It's reading the color cartridge but not the black ink. This printer is less than 1.5yrs old. I don't understand. Is there any thing else I can do to reset this? Or fix the problem?

Hi Marzaly,

This message may be resolved by resetting the unit. Please follow these steps:

1. With PIXMA MG2220 powered on, open the cover. The ink will move to the replacement position.

2. Lower the cartridge locking lever on the black ink cartridge.

3. Slide the cartridge out of the holder towards you.

4. Lower the cartridge locking lever on the color ink cartridge.

5. Slide the cartridge out of the holder towards you.

6. Once both cartridges are removed, unplug the power to the printer (without turning it off).

7. Reconnect the power cord.

8. Turn your PIXMA MG2220 on.

9. Open the cover. The carriage that holds the ink will move to the left hand side.

10. Make sure the orange cap is off of the bottom of the black cartridge.

11. Slide the black cartridge into the printer.

12. Lift the cartridge locking lever up, a clicking noise should be heard.

13. Make sure the orange cap is off of the bottom of the color cartridge.

14. Slide the color cartridge into the printer.

15. Lift the cartridge locking lever, a clicking noise should be heard.

Close the cover. The printer should make some noise for a few moments, and then return to standby.

If the message persists, to clear the low ink warning message, press and hold down the <STOP/RESET> button for ten seconds, and then release it. This will disable the ink detection until that cartridge has been replaced.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Canon MG3520, - Printer won't detect new full print cartridge.

Bought printer last year and replaced the original ink cartrdige and it is not recognizing the new cartridge.

Ink cartidge indicator is not going away.

Thanks,

Sharad

throw it in the trash & buy a differant brand. I have fought with this a couple years now.

I am having the same issue. My printer is not old and has barely been used. The first set of cartridges barely printing much of anything before the ink was gone. The second was the same.

Now, I've just installed two new cartridges and am experiencing all of the same issues as others have listed above. 

I've followed all of the troubleshooting instructions and none have worked.

I need to print tax documents right away and just spent $75 on new ink…

Hello.

If the ink errors continue to persist, troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

I have tried all of these ideas and nothing works. It's ridiculous that so many people are suffering from the same issue. These printers average a year old. Mine has been doing this for months. New ink and can't print. Ridiculous that there isn't more help than this.

Hi tbaldwin31! 

Thanks for posting in the Canon Forums!

The Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback.

If are you in the United States and this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team. If you are in a time crunch, there is an option to email our technical support team. Emails have an 8 hour turnaround time. 

If you live outside the United States, please click here and select your country or region for your support needs.

Announcements