cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX922 printer not printing black

traciflome
Apprentice

My pixma MX922 is not printing black text.  It will print color.  I have changed my ink, cleaned it and shut it on and off.  Thoughts?

95 REPLIES 95

wanderson29,

Glad it helped!

My story didn't end there though... unfortunately, after a couple months my printer finally quit, and had what others describe as the print head overheating/failing. I have to say, I got a lot of life out of it, so I'm not complaining. But I got the now infamous B200 error... tried all the tricks I could find online to save it, and now the printer doesn't even power on.

He's dead, Jim.

So I just bought a new canon printer. I figure I've had great luck with them so far, so why not shell out another $99 and hope for another 5 years of service at least!

Cheers,

Chris

wanderson29
Apprentice
Iwalker62 Where do you find this setting? In the OS or in the printer itself?

Via Manage your device (PRINTERS), I went to the printer properties, printer preferences and then Media type...Other papers. So far it has rectified the probelm. We'll see.Hope you have some luck with it also

Raul37
Apprentice

I had the same issue. If black text is not printing the PGBK nozzle is clogged and needs to be deep cleaned. You can isolate and only deep clean the PGBK nozzle to not waste the other ink.

See the video below for detailed instructions:

https://youtu.be/RrPabgptVPk

I had to run it a couple of times before the PGBK sample would print on the test page. Change out the ink if you haven't in a while.

Take care, good luck.

Raul

I seem to have a slightly different issue with my MP830.  It's the BK (not the PGBK) which is not printing at all. I've done a couple deep cleanings.  All the others are perfect - it's just the BK that doesn't print at all.

As a result, I can't doo the most basic things like print a fax. 

Any thoughts? Aside from finally chucking this thing in the trash?  <sigh>

Brad  

Hi DPDISXR4Ti,

Please make sure that the smaller black ink tank contains ink.  Next, please perform 2 or 3 deep cleanings and then print again.  If black still does not print, your PIXMA MP830 would require service.  You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET). If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002.  They're available weekdays and Saturdays after 9 AM ET (6 AM PT). Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

So after doing all the deep cleanings (including soaking the printhead in alcohol) and finally getting a successful test print on plain paper, I tried to print photos. My printer will now ONLY print black on plain paper. The instant I specify printing on any kind of photo paper (I've tried matte, luster, and glossy) it stops printing black.

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone have any idea how I can fix it short of buying a new printer?

LuBelle47
Apprentice

My printer is a Cannon PIXMA MX 420 & I've been having the same problem printing black from the Lenovo laptop (Windows 10)  I purchased about year or two ago. 

It printed out fine for a while. I went thrugh the cleaning, deep cleaning as per instructions, but to no avail.  I noticed that the test would not print out the top line (BLK), so I checked the cartridges under Maintenance, & it showed "adequate" levels of in in both cartridges. 

I also have an Asus laptop which I purchased quite some years ago, (runs Windows 97, which I love), & which I do not connect to the internet.   When my Lenovo quit printing out black, even after all the cleaning & installing new cartridges, I plugged my printer to my old Asus laptop and it printed out just fine. 

I use both laptops since I have old programs which are not supported by Windows 10. 

I'm mainly posting this to offer additional info that I haven't seen yet.  Hope this helps.

I'm glad you found a solution to your problem. I gave up on trying to get mine to print text black. It's still prints beautiful pictures. I ended up buying a HP 3038 for text. Thanks for writing!

Mememe1,

I think you can "trick" it to print black text if you switch the resolution/paper to photo paper, or you set duplex printing mode (even when printing a single sheet). You want to get the printer to use the black pigment cartridge that's usually for photo printing only, rather than the larger black ink tank. I've heard this maybe why some people experience this case of printing only black in certain cases but not others.  But anyway, you got an HP now, so your problem got solved a different way.

I'm now a happy owner of a Canon TR8520, and I like that it automatically goes to sleep, but when I send a print job it wakes up automatically. Haven't had any printing problems so far, and fingers crossed!

Announcements