cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX922 printer not printing black

traciflome
Apprentice

My pixma MX922 is not printing black text.  It will print color.  I have changed my ink, cleaned it and shut it on and off.  Thoughts?

95 REPLIES 95

I get the distinct impression that most of the Canon "product experts" have canned responses to our inquiries. Most or our inquiries are not addressed other than to contact support. My question is whether the pigment black issue is known by Canon as they have been inundated with this topic. At least car manufacturers issue recalls when they are notified of faulty vehicle issues.

Hi, yes ALL of the Canon Support responses are Canned / Robot scripted responses and useless.

Canon has no idea how to fix this problem. There is hope! See below for FIX / Work Around.

Here is the only "work around" that I read that actually WORKS!  FYI For PC 🙂 Sent by user on 1/13/2017:

Re: printer not printing black 

Russ,

Checking again, the setting I changed was to change the paper setting to High Resolution Paper.

Go to your Printer Properties. In the General tab, there is a Preferences button.

Open Preferences and change Media Type to High Resolution Paper.

That is a global setting.

Alternatively, on a project by project basis, when you want to print something, ctrl P opens up the print command.

Click on the Properties button and change Media Type to High Resolution Paper.

This change to High Resolution Paper has worked for me to bypass the pigment black.

Update: BTW this only uses the SMALL BLK cartridge. So in the long run will cost more. You can also save the High Resolution paper setting as a default in the Ctl/P dialog "Properties" menu by selecting the paper type under "Media Type" to "other types" / High Resolution, then by cking the "Always use this setting" box in the lower left of the the dialog box.

After trying all of the tests, I went back to the printer utility and selected Deep Cleaning - and then cleaned only the PGBK.  So far so good - I did use up all of the ink performing yet another deep clean - it uses a lot of ink to perform that task.

I had this problem once before.  I'm sure it isn't the ink because as I said, it will print a .pdf file just fine, but won't print the text in other items (i.e., docs from Pages, Print Shop, etc.).  I think it's software related on iMacs.  I have tried installing new firmware, software updates, etc. to no avail.  

Yes, pdfs will print because they are a different type of file. Photos print well. A document with text and photo will only print the photo.

My printer still didn't print after several tries. I believe I didn't leave the solution in the PGBK port long enough. So, I will try again overnight when I have time to fiddle with it. Luckily I have a 22 year old HP LaserJet 6mp that still prints black well!

So if we are all experiencing the same problem but are still able to print certain files, then I think we should assume it's the printer, not the ink.  Unfortunately I have another new unopened MX922 in the closet...

Update on 2/17/18 - I did print the test page and the black printed fine - the printer told me I did not need a deep clean at this time.  Again, if I print a file with photo and text, the photo will print but no text.  And I printed a .pdf file again and also a .jpg text file - they both printed perfectly.  But if I go to Pages or a simple document program, the text does not print.  I have tried reinstalling software also as I stated, but that doesn't help.  I don't understand how one day it prints fine, and then the next day it simply stops printing text.  I have searched the internet, and the only recommendations are for cleaning - which I don't feel is the issue here.

riverwindhotel
Apprentice

Our printer is not printing black, as we just changed out the black toner this week. The printer is a Canon C5035. Any advise?

Hi, riverwindhotel! Thanks for posting!

While our forum community members are welcome to chime in, Canon does not provide direct support for imageRUNNER series products. Instead, your dealer will be able to help you! If you don't have a dealer, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) and we will be happy to provide you with the names of dealers in your area!

We hope this helps!

Username54321
Apprentice

I had this same problem, which brought me here.

Check your PGBK cartridge (the biggest black one.) If you made the same mistake that I did, you forgot to pull the sticker off over the ink hole before inserting it. Smiley Surprised

Hi all,

I've had some success cleaning the PGBK cartridge with a cleaning kit from Printer Hospital. You use a syringe to push the fluid, polypropylene, through the port using an adapter for Canon printers. It fits over the port connected to the syringe. I did it three times, then three cleanings. The printed pattern is not a dark black line but good enough for now. You can let the head sit overnight with the fluid on/in the port I but I didn't have the time. You can buy it direct from the website or on Amazon. I hope this helps!

Announcements