cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pixma mg3220 won't print head alignment page

whywhyme
Apprentice

I have a pixma mg3220 running windows 7, it started printing a bad shadow. So i am trying to do the print head alignment procedure but every time it tries to print the alignment page it stops 1/4 of the way in and i get a P02 error. I have to power off the printer, manually pull out the partially printed page. I have looked for anything that might be blocking the print head but I am not seeing anything that looks out of place. I have picked up the printer and rotated it around to hear for anything loose and i hear nothing rattleing.  I have cleaned the print heads.    

The only thing that seems out of place is that while printing the alignment page, it starts off normal. I can hear the print head going back and forth smoothly. but after a while I start to hear a thumping when the print head moves to the left side (i opened it up and held down the door sensor to whatch where it was thumping)  So it will hit the left side then pause and do a pass then thump, pause, do a pass. Then i'll get the P02 error. 

What can i do? 

8 REPLIES 8

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi whywhyme,

The P 0 2 error is an indication that there is either a foreign object inside the unit or there is a paper jam.  Please follow these steps to resolve this:

1.  Turn your PIXMA MG3220 off, then unplug the power cord.

2.  Stand the machine with the right side facing down.  If you can see the jammed paper at the front tray, stand the machine with the front tray open.

3.  Push the open lever to open the transport unit.  When you open the transport unit, support it with your hand so that it does not fall down.

4.  Pull out the jammed paper slowly.

5.  Close the transport unit.  After you close the transport unit, do not keep the machine standing upright.

6.  Plug the machine back in and turn the machine back on.

7.  Open the cover and look inside the unit for any packing material or foreign objects and remove them if found.

8..  Reload the paper and attempt to print.

If the error persists, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello Patrick at Canon,

I am experiencing a similar problem as whywhyme; however, when I try to print my alignment page, my printer just shuts off mid-way through. The error code 306 is triggered. My printer has never shut off unexpectedly and ONLY shuts off during the alignment page print. I have been able to print several other documents just fine before and after. I am really in need of help because my printer is desperately in need of a re-alignment. Please note that I disabled the "auto-off" feature in the utility application just to rule that possibility out.

Hi fitch7000,

What version of OS X (or Windows) is installed on your computer?

Are you using your PIXMA MG3220 wirelessly?   or with a USB cable?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

fitch7000
Apprentice
Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I am using Mac OS X 10.13.6 and am doing this wirelessly. I have tried both methods of printing the alignment page - the one through my laptop and the other directly from the printer (holding down the cancel button for 4 flashes)

Hi fitch7000,

First, let's try reinstalling your PIXMA MG3220.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Click on the Apple in the upper left hand corner and then System Preferences.

2.  Click on Printers & Scanners.

3.  Click on the Canon MG3220 on the left side and then [-] at the bottom to remove it.  Repeat until all MG3220's are removed.

4.  Once gone, please click the [+] at the bottom and then click on "Add printer or scanner"

5.  In the new window that appears, click on Default in the upper left corner of that window.

6.  In the box below, please click once on the Canon MG3220 that appears.  To the right, please make sure that Canon IJ Network is selected.  At the bottom, next to "Use", please make sure the Canon MG3220 is selected.

7.  Click Add.

Once readded, please attempt to print the alignment again.

Also, how is your PIXMA MG3220 printing that is causing you to perform the alignment?  Are there lines in your printout?  Is the text that is printed "slanted" ?

Thank you for the information, 

I have followed all of your instructions and re-attempted to align my printer heads. Unfortunately, my printer still experienced the same issues as well as printed with an inkless line down the center of the paper. I came to the conclusion that this printer is not redeemable. 

Sadly, in the process of trying to "fix" these issues, my genuine Canon XL ink cartridges are almost completely drained. I had just purchased them a few months ago and have noticed that they are almost completely out. 

For all of this trouble and inconvenience, would Canon be so kind as to send me a complimentary set of PG-240XL/CL-241XL ink cartridges? I would greatly appreciate it since I plan to continue purchasing canon printers going forward. 

I look forward to your reply, Dylan

agreenb5
Apprentice

I had this EXACT issue; I was so excited to see someone had found better words to describe it. Then, I was disappointed to find no real solution. Well guess what everybody?! I've got figured it out!

You're not going to believe it, but there was a smudge on my timing strip. The tiniest smudge. (Seen here when you open the FRONT part of the printer after the cartridges move out of the way).

I put together a cleaner with a pen, a cotton swab, and a rubber band (shown below), dipped the end in some rubbing alcohol, stuck in to carefully clean off the smudge without touching the chasis, and voilà. It works like a normal again!

careful cleaning contraption

TL;DR - You just clean off the timing strip!

This worked perfectly for me.  I found a smudge in the timing strip and cleaned it off just as described.  I was ready to throw this printer out.  But it is working fine now. 

Announcements