cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pixma MP760 scanner problems

janssens17
Contributor

Pixma MP 760 printer.

All functions are working fine, prints, copies, and prints from the intrnet,. when i try to scan a document using MP Navigator 1.1

i get the following Message

cannot communicate with scanner. scanner may be turned off ( no switched on) , a cable may be disconnected ( all connected correctly).  Please check the status and try again (done get the same message)

scanner driver will be closed

How do i resolve this problem ,

15 REPLIES 15

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi janssens17,

So we can best assist you, please let us know what version of Windows or Macintosh is installed on your computer? 

We look forward to your reply.

janssens17
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. i am on windows 7  64 bit. since my last e mail there has been some improvements as a result of me  having a go at solving this problem.

My MP Navigator 1.1 is the one for windows 7 and i run it in Administrator mode.

With printed switched on and warm i click scan on the navigator 1.1 screen , says Scanning , the printer scans and make the usual noises when scanning, but thats as far as the printer goes i now get the following message

Cannot scan for thefollowing reasons

The original may not be set correctly         not quite sure what this mean , the doc. is placed on  printer as normal

The protective sheet may be putin place.    the printer is a few years old so i doubt this.

The lamp may not be warmed up .     no theprinter has been switched on long enough 

scanner will be closed 

Code  2,178,0

I hope you can make some sence out of this

I have recieved an e mail to view replies , it says click to review replies nothing happens it won't open

Some how i accidently clicked on problem solved --my fault but the problem is not solved and i could not open replies 

Hi janssens17,

I recommend opening Devices and Printers and removing the printer. Once the printer is removed, please go into Add & Remove programs and make sure the Canon MP driver and MP Navigator is removed. Once that is done please unplug the usb cord from the printer and restart the computer.

Once the computer restarts, please click HERE to open the support page for you printer. Please download and run the MP760 MP Driver Ver. 6.20. During the install you will be asked to plug in the usb cord. Once that is done, go back to the driver page and select the software tab. Download and install  MP Navigator Ver. 1.17.

Once that is done, please try to scan again.

Hi Arthur j

i have completed all the  actions as instructed with no problems up to clicking (here) i got MP navigator ver 1,17  but not mp760MP driver ver 6.20 

This is what came up

Recommended soft ware

MP Navigator Ver 1.17

Optional soft ware

easy-photoPrint EX ver4.7.0 (windows)

My printer Ver 3.3.0  (windows)

MP Navigator ver 1.16

I have not down loaded any thing , seeing as i can't find MP Driver ver 6.20

thanking you --what next !

Hello again 

i engaged my old brain and found and downloaded Mp760 driver ver 6.20 following the instructions , i downloaded Mp Navigator ver 1.17 .and tried to scan  , Scan failed with fault code 2,178,0 ?

When i up graded from Windows XP to windows 7 64 bit Canon sent me two downloads and they worked , how i wish i had saved them . 

Hi

i been away so i have not been active . All the help i have recieved has got my printer scanning but it bombs out with Fault code 2.178.0 , i have googled this code but none of the solutions works.

I should have saved the Drivers sent to me by Canon when i upgraded from Microsoft XP to windows 7  because my printer worked perfectly , but i never saved them .

How do  fix Fault 2.178.0

Hi janssens17,

To resolve the 2,178,0 error message that you are receiving, I recommend going into Programs and Features and removing the following programs:

• MP760 series MP Driver
  • MP Navigator EX Ver. 1.17

After the programs are completely uninstalled, restart your computer.

Next, install the current drivers/software from the Canon website. 

1. If you are using a USB cable to connect the printer to your computer, disconnect one end of the cable.
  2. Click HERE to go directly to the download site.
  3. Below the Drivers & Downloads, next to Operating System, you should see that your operating system is detected.
  4. A little further below and to the right, click on it SELECT button next to the file titled, “MP760 series MP Driver Ver. 6.20”
  5. Click on the red DOWNLOAD button.
  6. If you are asked if you want to RUN or SAVE the file, click on SAVE.
  7. After the file has been saved, you will be given the option to OPEN or RUN the file. This time click on RUN.
  8. If you are not given the option to RUN the file, go to the downloads folder and double-click on the file name. The file name will be either “mp760vst64620en.exe”
  9. If you are asked if you would like to allow the setup program to make changes, select YES or OK.
  10. When the welcome screen appears, follow the on-screen instructions to install the software on your computer.
  11. When applicable, the software will tell you to connect the USB cable.

After successful installation of the printer's driver. Go ahead and install the scanner software by following the steps below:

Make sure the printer is turned on.

Click HERE to go directly to the download site.

Below the Drivers & Downloads, next to Operating System, you should see that your operating system has been detected.

A little further down you will see Drivers in a red box, click on SOFTWARE to the right.

A little further down and to the right, click on the SELECT button next to the file titled, “MP Navigator EX Ver. 1.17.”

Click on the red DOWNLOAD button.

If you are asked if you want to RUN or SAVE the file, click on SAVE.

After the file has been saved, you will be given the option to OPEN or RUN the file. This time click on RUN.

If you are not given the option to RUN the file, go to the downloads folder and double-click on the file titled, “mpn117ea13.exe.”

If you are asked if you would like to allow the setup program to make changes, select YES or OK.

When the welcome screen appears, follow the on-screen instructions to install the software on your computer.

Restart your computer.

Perform a test scan.

Announcements