cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mx922 printer fails due to "no paper in upper tray"

rchen
Apprentice

I try to print with iphone, but alway got this no paper in upper tray error ( I have paper in lower tray), looks like this is a canon software issue, if I can not resolve this, I will need to return this product, this is only two days old.

thx

111 REPLIES 111

Rrfeury
Contributor
Copy your file text or pic to notes and then print it from there. Quick easy fix.

wisdant
Apprentice

I have the same issue. I mainly print from Chrome on a Macbook. 

I use the following workaround. It works reliabbly despite the invoncenience. 

1. Click Print in Chrome

2. Select "Print using system dialog 

3. Print from there.

You can also press option-command-P to trigger the window directly. 

Mydesign4u
Contributor
Canon 922 Printer Fix for paper tray issue
Also on page 7 of complaint

I was able to fix the problem on the error message that says,
“Out of paper in top cassette”. Go to the App Store and download (Printershare). Once you do that, PRINT USING THAT APP! Once you have completed that, the printer automatically switches back to the bottom tray where the 8 by 11 paper is. I was then able to go back to the way I normally printed via AirPrint directly from my IPhone.
Hope that helps someone.
I’m sure any app from the App Store would help fix the problem. I used the one I noted above as it was the one I used with my prior canon (MX860) before AirPrint came out.

Elkneller
Apprentice

Hey, I don’t know that this is the final solution for everyone, but what I have had success with when receiving this error, is to be sure that there is more than an inch of paper in the tray and that it is pushed solidly up against the back of the tray. 

alanbook
Apprentice

sbrown13
Apprentice
iPhone printer will always default to upper tray because it thinks you are printing a photo. There is no way to fix this, as there is no option to reset paper to larger size (which would access the lower tray). The easy way to fix this is to go to Apple Store and GET its free printer app. Then do you printing from that app, which allows you to specify all aspects of the print, including paper size (and thus the lower cassette).

BillyFutch
Apprentice

I have the same issue and have tried everything cannon suggests to fix the issue. They don’t work. I’m using a Mac operating system. If this isn’t fixed , I’ll never buy another Cannon product!

Mydesign4u
Contributor
Read fix on page 7
Hope that helps you
Rosann

Rrfeury
Contributor
Save you text or file the copy it to “Notes”
Items sent from notes folder will print default to lower tray.

PDPost
Apprentice

I think I got it.  It took a few hours and it's not the best solution, but it works.

There is a free IOS App called "Canon Print".  Download it from the App Store to your iPhone, iPad, etc.

When you open the app, there are a few options and the one we have had problems with is correctable when you click on "Photo Print" ("Document Print" appears to always go to the bottom tray anyway, so it's easiest to just use AirPrint for documents).

After tapping on "Photo Print", you will see lists including "Recents" that will bring you to your camera roll.  If your photo is not in there, you will first need to "Save" your photo from an eMail or Message (or wherever it exists) to your camera.  Then, click on and "Select" as many photos as you want.

When you have all of your photos selected, you will see how many "Images" you have selected in the lower left and then you can click "Next" in the lower right.

Drum roll - here, finally, is the answer we have all been waiting for!!!

In the lower left, click on "Print Settings".  You will see that the "Paper Size" currently points to the size that would be loaded in the upper tray of the MX922.  Tap on "Paper Size" to change it to "Letter 8.5"x11" 22x28cm".  Make sure there is a check mark to the left of it and then click the "<" in the upper left to go back to "Print Settings".

Next, change the "Media Type" to "Plain Paper" (if that's what you're using), then click on "<" again and then click on "< Back".

Now, you can finally "Print" (lower right) anything from your IOS device to the bottom tray.

I have noticed that once you set your Print Setttings (to "Letter" and "Plain Paper", or whatever else you're using) that you don't need to change it again - the app remembers this setting for next time.

Although it stinks not to be able to simply use Airprint and select the size from there, at least photos printed through this Canon Print App will provide as many paper size, quality and other options as possible.

Hopefully, this App will be the best answer for everyone!

Announcements