Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mx892 black prints grey

drgerry
Contributor

Canon PIXMA MX892

Network printer (Win7 and WinXP)

When printing photos, it will not print BLACK completely. It prints black as grey. 

Does the same thing from both XP and Win7 computers. Does the same thing no matter what software I use.

I've uninstalled drivers and printer, and reinstalled. I've downloaded and installed new drivers. I've installed new OEM ink cartridges.

I cannot find out why this is doing it. Please send some advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Drgerry,

Here's how to post a new message to one of our message boards:

1) Select what your product type is from the 6 options at the top of the screen (About the Community, Camera, Printer, Cinema EOS, Camcorder, or General Discussion). 
2) On the next screen you'll choose more specifically what your product is (for example: personal printers, office printers, etc... from the printer list)

3) Finally, on the next screen towards the top left there will be a "New Message" option. 

We hope this helps you out!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

drgerry
Contributor

Here's what I've found by setting different print options inside Canon print properties:

Options: Plain Paper/Standard Quality

black prints fine. No problems, just not "Picture" quality print

Options: Plain Paper/High Quality

black prints fine. But, I cannot get "Borderless" a full 8.5" wide

Options: Plain Paper/Standard Quality / Borderless (with "Plain Paper" chosen from drop down menu) (I need it 8.5 x 8.5 and cannot get that without Borderless Printing selected)

High quality opion is NOT available

Black prints GREY!! the only change was the "borderless" selection

I now have to go through every print paper option available to see if they all print grey.

why does it print black on plain paper but not with Photo Papers?

Hi, drgerry!

Thanks for posting on our forum! This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. If this is a time-sensitive matter, contacting our US-based technical support team is the most efficient way to get these issues straightened out. They're standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/ContactCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Further testing reveals that the pigment base (large) ink prints true black. But it prints Flat black in pictures.

The Dye based (small) ink prints grey.

Why is that? This used to print great until just a few month ago.

It's not the software - it does the same thing will all computers on the network

It's not the ink tanks - test print show no issues at all

There has to be something wrong in how it tells the Pigment Black to print.

Anyone know of any way to reset this MX892? Or, is it just shot, and time to buy a new one? If that's the case, I'm very disappointed with Canon.

Here's what's going on:

This is a .jpg of what is supposed to print:

Black Test.jpg

And, here is a scanned image of what actually prints:

Black Test print.jpg

I've changed cartridges a couple times, and each time is the same.

Looks like no one ever gets on this forum anymore . . . . . .

Fixed it!

I'm experiencing this on my MX512, how did you fix the problem?

drgerry
Contributor
I don't remember. I got aggravated with the lack of help on here. Seems it had something to do with the color file default thing. Sorry, I am not much help

Well, crap!

Mine's doing it again and I can't remember how I fixed it. I'm a funny man!

I remember it was something simple, but can't remember what . . . . . 

My mx892 isn't printing black when printing from a word document, but it seems to print black in pictures as grey too.  Can't figure out what is wrong.  Tried to do the cleanings and change ink cartridges, but no luck.  I figure from the printout it is likely the pigment black that is out, but I'm not sure.20170829 Printout black not working.jpg

Announcements