cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i have a pixma mg 3120 can i print with black ink cartridge only when waiting for replacements

pixmababby
Apprentice

recently replaced ink cartridges, both color an d black. the black cartridge lasted 2 days. i orderd the replacement black ink. i continue to be able to prink with color cartridge. the black ink cartridge arrived, and i replaced it with empty black cartridge. Now my printer will not print. it shows that i have have a full black canister and an empty color canister. i don't understand this. for the price of these cartridges to be replaced, i would think that there would be where i can can print with black only. It seemed like i was able to print with color only cartridge for the time i waited for the replacement black ink. now i have ordered the replacement for the color cartridge, but i can't use black cartridge even to just print black and white document.

6 REPLIES 6

Ramona
Authority

Hi pixmababby,

You can disable the ink level detection function of the printer so that you can continue to print using the black ink cartridge, even if the color ink cartridge is low or out of ink.  To do this, please press and hold down the STOP/RESET or RESUME/CANCEL button on the printer for at least 7 seconds, then release it.  

Once the color ink cartridge is replaced with a color Canon genuine ink cartridge, the ink level detection function of the printer will be re-enabled.

You can also set the printer to print using only the black ink cartridge from within the printer driver.  If you would like instruction for doing this, please reply with what version of Windows or Mac OS X you have on your computer and we will be happy to provide instruction.

Hope this helps!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

i am using windows 8.1, i have tried all the steps you suggested with no success. the printer properties are set to print on plain paper, document type and with black ink only. 

Here's the instructions the previous poster mentioned regarding changing the settings to print with black ink only.

http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&secu...

Hope this helps!

i should recieve new color cartridge today so never mind. i maynot get an answer for another 3 days.

I understand that I can go into the printer driver and reset it - I have a Mac, operating system 10.12.3.

I would like black printing to be the default, and change to color only when I want it.

Thank you.

Mary

MaryMcG,

Try the following to change the cartridge settings on your Mac:

1.  Open the Hard Drive (Mac HD).

2.  Open the Library Folder.

3.  Open the Printers folder.

4.  Open the Canon Folder, then the BJ Printer folder.  Once there, open the Utilities folder.

5.  Open the Canon BJ or IJ Printer utility.

Once there, you should be able to access the cartridge settings to set the unit to Black Only.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements