cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to fix error 6500 pixma mp830

JCarlos
Apprentice

trhere is a blinking error shown in my printer Pixma MP830 it show error 6500 in the printer's front pannel, it also shows the error in my computers screen when trying to send files to print.

has any body had this problem?

thanks

J Carlos

8 REPLIES 8

Danny

Hi, J Carlos!

Your printer's issue has been brought up before on our forum.  Please check out this thread for a solution.

We hope this helps!

-Danny in Support.

I don't see a thread and I have the same problem

Hi, mtillwc!

The thread can be found right here.  The link should appear in gray text, slightly lighter in color than regular text.  If you're unable to click on the link, you click on the thread's full address, which is http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/Personal-Printers/My-Mp-830-is-showing-an-error-6500-and-I-don-t-know...

We hope this helps!

this is happening on my printer as well even though it was just printing a minute ago. The answer on the linked forum does not help. When I open the lid of the printer the ink cartridges are still hidden in the right hand side instead of coming out to check levels and installation. Any other suggestions?

James30
Apprentice

Tonyas
Apprentice
I followed the instructions but the ink is stuck all the way to the right. Any suggestions on how to clear this error 6500? Thank you

Hi, Tonyas!

Which printer model do you have?

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bitly.com/CanonEmail or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks!

Ralph77
Contributor

I can confirm that replacing the logic board fixed this error for me. Luckily I had a couple of spare logic boards from old MP830 printers.

Unfortunately after replacing the board, another issue became apparent, and that is that the printer complained "Release the scanner lock switch and turn the power off and back on." The lock switch was not in the locked position though.

I re-plugged all the cables to the logic board, as this had once fixed that error for me. In so doing, I noticed that the ribbon cables were badly worn at the ends of the connectors, and this would no doubt be the result of a lot of plugging/unplugging while diagnosing a previous fault, and this one.

Most of those ribbon cables are a friction fit, meaning that each time you re-plug them, they get worn. Evidently they are not made to be re-plugged many times (cheap cables) and so after a while, many of the ribbons simply don't make connection any more. This resulted in the printer assuming that due to a lack of connection, the lock switch was unlocked. Unfortunately there's not much that can be done to replace the ribbon cables - each one is a different length and width, and getting to the other end of each cable would mean a very lengthy job disassembling both the scanner unit and the duplexing unit. Far more trouble than it's worth!

Announcements